power washer

/ power washer #1  

thomas9n

Tractor
jd3032 1951jdmt
i need a power -washer. will get little use.so should i get electric or gas. ive had a gas one in the past and was thinking of electric this time. any help good or bad needed....tom

/ power washer #2  
I just bought this electric model:
Amazon.com: AR Blue Clean AR383 1,900 PSI 1.5 GPM 14 Amp Electric Pressure Washer with Hose Reel: Patio, Lawn & Garden

My criteria was fairly low GPM (this one pulls 1.5 GPM) with good pressure.
I wanted a lower water requirement as my well only puts out 2 GPM or so..
I was amazed how well it did on a deck that hadn't been cleaned in at least 10 years...took the mold and other crap right off. I've got 8 or so hours on it so far.
Very good unit and I recommend this one completely. If you're going to use a pressure washer infrequently...and your work is within reach of an electrical outlet, I definitely would not go for a gasoline powered machine.

/ power washer #3  
ConsumerReports article.

----------------------------------------------

How to choose
Last reviewed: August 2011

Today's pressure washers cost as little as $90 for corded electric models and $300 for gas-powered machines, making both a tempting alternative to the $50 to $90 per day you'll spend to rent one.

Pressure washers use a gas engine or electric motor, pump, and concentrating nozzle to boost water pressure from your garden hose as much as 60 times. That kind of power blasts away deck mildew, driveway stains, and other grunge a hose couldn't touch. Lower prices and less upkeep are why 60 percent of buyers choose washers with an electric motor. But gas models have roughly twice the cleaning power-a key reason you'll see fewer plug-ins at the big-box stores that account for the most sales.
What's available

Models from Black & Decker, Campbell Hausfeld, Craftsman, Excell, Honda, Husky, Karcher, and Troy-Bilt are among the brands you'll find.

Gas-powered washers
These are best for quickly cleaning decks, siding, and other large areas as well as whisking away gum, sap, and tough stains. They pump out 2,000 to 2,800 pounds per square inch (psi) of water pressure vs. 1,000 to 1,800 psi for electrics, allowing gas models to clean a grimy concrete patio three times faster than the fastest electrics. Downsides include added noise and weight, and the need for pull-starting, fuel-mixing, and tuneups. Pumps must be winterized with anti-freeze in colder areas, since gas machines shouldn't be stored inside a home. Gas models also require more caution and control than the electrics to avoid injuries and damaging wood and other soft surfaces. Price: $200 to $500.

Electric washers
These are best for small decks and patios, furniture, and other lighter-duty jobs that emphasize cleaning over stain removal. They're relatively light and quiet, require little upkeep, and create no exhaust emissions. They start and stop with a trigger and are small enough to be stored indoors without winterizing. But less pressure means slower cleaning. Wands and nozzles are less-sturdy plastic, not metal. And you need to be near an outlet. Price: $90 to $180.

/ power washer #4  
You should first determine what PSI you need (want) and, like Roy, the GPM you have available. Availability of an electrical outlet where it will be used is significant. Running an extension cord a long distance will affect performance.

Low PSI is a characteristic of electric - if you consider 2000 PSI low. Anything above that would likely be better with a self-contained power supply (gas).

One of my washers is 3000 PSI and will take decals and grease off of a tractor in a hurry. It will blow a hole in a wood deck.

You can make an informed decision after considering the requirements.

BTW, what will the washer be used on? That will help others with opinions.

/ power washer #5  
I bought a low-cost electric model from a big-box hardware store for occasional cleaning of the deck and the like. Seemed like a reasonable choice for light-duty work. About a year later a plastic part part broke inside, and of course they can't be repaired.

So I looked for a "real" one. Most advice is that if you want a real one you need one powered by a gasoline engine. As I've posted before, I hate having to maintain yet another gasoline engine (yes, I know many here think it's easy and even fun to keep a stable of gas-powered tools maintained, but I don't).

So I went looking, and found that indeed there are real power washers with electric motors. They aren't all that cheap, but they are well-built, have parts available so they can be repaired when needed, and do a great job. The really big ones require 240 volt power, but quite serviceable ones run on 120 volts.

I bought a Cam Spray 1450, a 120v model with a nice cart and tires big enough to make it easy to roll. It seems to be obsolete now, and the closest current model seems to be the 1500. While the specs aren't that much different than the big-box cheapie, it performs much better and having a real nozzle makes it a pleasure to use. I'd highly recommend something like this for anyone looking for a mid-range pressure washer that's a pleasure to use and will actually last.

Terry

/ power washer #6  
We had an Dayton electric pressure washer from Graingers that worked fine. It was purchased probably 1990 and worked fine for 10 years for the occasional use. The joy of electric is no engine and carb to deal with.

/ power washer #7  
I've been through two electric washers and both were OK but not enough power. Bought a gas one from Cosco on sale for 325 and it's got lots of power but being gas it will need maintenance and not sure how long it will last. That said it does have a LOT more punch than the electric ones I've owned. Just watch out for Ethanol gas, try to use premium gas that doesn't contain any if you want to keep it running for many years.

/ power washer
thanks for the replies guys.tom