Powerstroke question....

/ Powerstroke question....
good info. Thanks guys. Any(major) ride difference between a 3/4 and a ton dually?

/ Powerstroke question.... #22  
One thing I forgot... the F250 4x4 had a "less than stellar" front suspension and 4x4 hubs. My S.I.L. truck has that independent suspension kinda setup... We are currently gathering parts to install the F350 solid axle front end under it... Many people do this conversion to the solid axle setup... so info should be easy to find.

/ Powerstroke question.... #23  
Sound guy has a 04 F-250 on here also with no issue.

Chris

yep.. my 04 f250 6.0 crewcab 4x4 has 120k on it now.. no issues other than maintenance items. i did check out the air filter to a napa 940 element, and I used to have oil leaks at the oil filter using oem oil filters.. strangely enough, a napagold oil filter does not leak at all.. go figure.

only issues i've had other than routine maintenance and wear items.. and some wet fuel now and then.. etc..

soundguy

/ Powerstroke question.... #24  
good info. Thanks guys. Any(major) ride difference between a 3/4 and a ton dually?

gotta be carefull at the drivethru.. :)

having used both a 3/4 and a 1 ton drw, and a 1.5t drw to pull trailers in the 7k-14k range multiple miles here are my thoughts.

the drw gives you a lil more stability, and usually weight.. both of those can help if needed. on a 7k trailer.. it really don't make much difference either way.

the drw 1t+ 'feel' better with a bit of load on them vs being empty.

I just went and picked up one of those construction bags of sand.. figure 800# and a half pallate of sod. the ride in my 99 f350 drw felt BETTER with that in the bed, than when driving with it empty.

as far as pep.. well.. my 3/4 is a 6.0psd, and my 1 and 1.5t are 7.3psd.. so the 6.0 is a speed demon compaired to them.. but I like the 7.3 just the same..

soundguy

/ Powerstroke question.... #25  
One thing I forgot... the F250 4x4 had a "less than stellar" front suspension and 4x4 hubs. My S.I.L. truck has that independent suspension kinda setup... We are currently gathering parts to install the F350 solid axle front end under it... Many people do this conversion to the solid axle setup... so info should be easy to find.

The solid axle ruins your wife's boobs unless she wears a sports bra......:D

I swapped my shackles and installed needle bearings in the pivots. Made a big difference in ride choppiness. I had a 250 with the IFS 4x4 setup. Was hard on tires among other things....

/ Powerstroke question.... #27  
The hard working trucks with 6.0L have less troubles than the lightly worked ones. My good friend bought a 2004 6.0L to add to his fleet. Cost an arm and a leg in injector, turbo, egr, headgaskets, etc etc. It had already had a turbo done on it before he bought it.

I'm sure most of the trouble was the light use and idling it had with the previous owner. By now most of the 6.0's that are going to have problems should have, but you still see them for sale with blown and brand new motors on Kijiji/Craigslist.

I have 25 or so customers with 6.0L and none have had any major issues. Some EGR and one Turbo and all these trucks work hard.

Chris

/ Powerstroke question.... #28  
I realize you're looking mostly at the 7.3's, but I have an 06 6.0 CC dually that I have worked very hard with absolutely no issues. I have a 30' enclosed and 30' tandem gooseneck flatbed that I have had loaded out and towed many miles. Pulled a 19K dozer 400+ miles up and down hills. Only have 62K but no issues and a great puller!

/ Powerstroke question.... #29  
None of the 99 and up trucks had an independent front suspension, that was the old trucks.

What you want is a one ton single rear wheel. High GVWR and a good ride.

The unit bearing hubs have always been a problem for ford trucks. The aftermarket has answered with 150$ replacements vs. 450+ from the dealer. Oversized tires are the biggest reason that these bearings fail.

/ Powerstroke question.... #30  
have a 99 350 crew cab single axle psd, with 122 and change so far so good only complaint is the driver door speaker is blown.and that just happened recently:laughing: