PowerTrac Specific Modifications

/ PowerTrac Specific Modifications #141  
A quick four month follow up on the muffler wrap. The engine oil now rarely exceeds 195F, even when the outside air temperatures are in the 90F range. The hydraulic oil maxes out right around 125F, and the exhaust air from the hydraulic cooling fan is just warm, not hot. I'm thrilled to have the hydraulic oil temperatures stay lower.

I haven't noticed any issues with the hotter exhaust. I had some concerns about it impinging on the right rear tire while parked, e.g. while chipping, but other than the tire getting warm, no issues. To be fair, the tire got warm before the muffler wrap.

All in all, it has been a great upgrade for me, or rather the tractor.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / PowerTrac Specific Modifications #142  
A quick four month follow up on the muffler wrap. The engine oil now rarely exceeds 195F, even when the outside air temperatures are in the 90F range. The hydraulic oil maxes out right around 125F, and the exhaust air from the hydraulic cooling fan is just warm, not hot. I'm thrilled to have the hydraulic oil temperatures stay lower.

I haven't noticed any issues with the hotter exhaust. I had some concerns about it impinging on the right rear tire while parked, e.g. while chipping, but other than the tire getting warm, no issues. To be fair, the tire got warm before the muffler wrap.

All the best,

Peter
Great job. Any chance you would consider starting a new dedicated post and cover your work, as best you can after the fact, on specifics like where you bought the wrap, measurements for cutting to fit etc? I would like to do it and don't want to reinvent the wheel.

/ PowerTrac Specific Modifications #143  

All the best,

Peter
On a UTV we did the same to keep the box from melting. When a muffler or exhaust pipe is insulated, they do run at higher temps and that will shorten there life expectancy.

/ PowerTrac Specific Modifications #144  
On a UTV we did the same to keep the box from melting. When a muffler or exhaust pipe is insulated, they do run at higher temps and that will shorten their life expectancy.
That sounds like a win.

You are probably right that this shaves some life off the muffler, but the rest of the tractor runs so much better to put this solidly in the plus category for me. That said, this a Deutz air/oil cooled diesel, so the mufflers run pretty cool to begin with. The final temperature of 500F is still pretty cool for steel, and only 100F warmer than before, and way cooler than a gasoline engine exhaust header/pipe.

A gasoline engine is a very different story, as you point out.

All the best,

Peter

P.S. The full write up on how I did it as @m5040 asked for is at
YMMV...