Pre-heat for stick weld?

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #11  
I'm welding some 1/4" angles to some 5/16" angles to alter a carry-all into a bedder wheel holder attachment. It's been really cold in the shop so I'll warm them up with the torch first. I've seen that 'flash over' but didn't know it was the moisture.. Thanks again.
Recently got an ac/dc tombstone, so I'm anxious to see the dc difference over the ac unit. (not anxious enough to go out there today tho :D)

As notme says, you won't have any problems.;)

Let us know what you think of DC!:)

/ Pre-heat for stick weld?
especially with low hydrogen rod u wanna get rid of that extra moisture (7018,7024) thats why those rods are kept in an oven to keep dry

I just bought some new rods but I keep them in a case (rod guard?) What's the symptom of damp rods, splattering?

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #13  
i have (pre-heated/peened/slow cooled) before welding cast iron.. but for mild steel.. no.

i'm not a pro welder.. I OWN a welder and use it often for my tractor projects.. :)

soundguy

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #14  
When you pre-heat steel with a propane torch, what you will initially see is water vapor from the burning propane condensing on the steel surface.... :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
When condensation will no longer form on the steel, it is probably hot enough.:D:D:D:D:D:D

The higher the carbon content, the more prone to cracking on cooling, this obviously includes cast iron.

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #15  
I think the last thing I built where I was concerned about preheat, is when I built my ripper / counterweight for my tractor. 5-inch x 5-inch solid square stock. Water really boiled out of this material! :D

Attachments

• Ripper.jpg
    Ripper.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 314
   / Pre-heat for stick weld? #16  
I never preheat for mild steel of any thickness. I always do for high carbon steels/cast iron.

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #17  
I think the last thing I built where I was concerned about preheat, is when I built my ripper / counterweight for my tractor. 5-inch x 5-inch solid square stock. Water really boiled out of this material! :D

5x5? How much did that puppy weigh? Probably helps it dig, too!
Jim

/ Pre-heat for stick weld?

That thing is amazing. What did you use to pre-heat it?

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #19  
For most of the plate and shapes using A-36 grade material, you can get by without preheating. 7018 rods will get less porosity in them if you do warm the surface to at least 50F, above that temp you dont get much benefit from warming. 60xx series rods will weld without preheat in most instances till your get above .750" at which point all qualified welding procedures require preheating with reduces the stress that is put into the steel when welding. Again, mostly if you are building Ag equipment, you can likely skip the preheat as long as it is above 50F and you are not working on material that is more than or = to 3/4" thick. If you are using a light duty welder especially MIG machines, preheating to about 200F will allow you to weld at lower amperage and still get good tie-in with your weld when working on material more than 1/8" thick

/ Pre-heat for stick weld? #20  
5x5? How much did that puppy weigh? Probably helps it dig, too!
Jim
Jim I never thought to weigh it. I think that square stock is around 85-pounds per foot. I think the ripper is 5-feet wide. When I revamped a skidsterr grapple to fit my tractor I felt as I needed a little more counterweight, so I doubled up on it.

That thing is amazing. What did you use to pre-heat it?

Jake when pre heating material I like to use the weed burner, but when heat shrinking, or heating material to bend, I like the oxygen acetylene torch / rosebud.

Attachments

• Complete.jpg
    Complete.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 271
  • Extra counterweight.jpg
    Extra counterweight.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 771