Prepped the truck to haul

/ Prepped the truck to haul #1  

Dan Hunter

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro
I have a JD 3720 coming in May. I ordered it late December. I presume they're driving it down to me.

Regardless, I needed my current truck to step it up. It's a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton TD with 150,000 miles. I'd previously purchased a Heath Diesel Turbo Master to mechanically control the waste gate to 12 psi max, removed the vacuum pump, ground out the upper plenum, ducted the intake through the fender, remote mounted the PMD/FSD again using a Heath Diesel product, and put manual overrides on both the glow plugs and the lift pump. This was done to enhance reliability.

Since I'll be hauling a bit more than usual in terms of frequency and amount, I put a 4" straight pipe on it, replaced the original injectors, and put a Heath eprom on it. The neat thing about Heath is you can call and talk to Bill Heath himself and express your use and desires and he'll send you exactly what you want.

My truck went from a 1/2 ton pickup powered by a sewing machine engine to something with a surprising amount of stonk. It runs cooler and has crisper shifts (as I had pointed out that I intended to haul heavy) plus the descent mode makes it go down hill like a manual transmission.

If I could just get my tired seat foam replaced. Perhaps I should get some stuffing techniques from the local jr. high school girls.

/ Prepped the truck to haul #3  
Now if the tranny will hold up. I have been around a few of the old 6.5L and 6.2L GM diesels and this was by far the weak point. Good news is there is fixes for that also.

Good luck with it.

Chris

/ Prepped the truck to haul
Keeping the transmission cooler clean is always important and these things have coolers stacked three deep. Some transmissions had lousy components that could contribute to hunting on gears and could be compounded by a weak powerplant that couldn't pull a gear. Heath programmed firm/short shifts and the truck can easily pull the gears now. I'm not remotely concerned about the transmission but the cast crankshaft and cooling system that might need upgraded do worry me.