Preventative maintenance

/ Preventative maintenance #1  

Seven Gables

Gold Member
Tractor
jd 5115m , Ford 545D, Kubota M8540, NH t4.105 , Ford 5030, Ford 4830, NH TN 95FA, Volvo EC60E
Just thinking it might be a good idea to have a topic category titled Preventative Maintenance. We could share our tips and tricks for getting the most life out of our equipment while saving big money and downtime on repairs. I'm all about it and would like to learn from others. Any interest? B

/ Preventative maintenance #2  
I'm heavy on PM also, but sometimes I think I'm way overdoing it. Am I wasting time and money? Obviously I don't think so, but I'm certainly open to what others do.

Good suggestion Mr. Gables.

/ Preventative maintenance #3  
A good start would be to invest in a pressure washer. It makes regular servicing less of a chore and easier to spot the start of potential “issues” whether it be an oil leak, hairline crack or failed weld.

/ Preventative maintenance
Here's a couple things pertaining to greasing. Whenever I grease the front axle of a tractor I suspend the axle by lifting it off the ground with the front loader or if no loader jack it up lifting on the front frame till the axle is off the ground. Grease takes the path of least resistance by suspending the axle then applying grease it goes to the areas where the load is when not suspended. I do this for the trunnion pin and King pins/turning joints. I also every now and again pick up all my used paper towels scattered about the shop and store them in a bag, I grab this bag with my grease gun and use up my used paper towels to clean the zerts and surrounding area of grease/dirt before greaseing. Very few paper towels leave my shop without last being used as a grease rag. Must be my Scottish blood. B

/ Preventative maintenance #5  
And then fire starters.

I have about four different(used clothing) rag levels of contamination. The dirtiest get used for oil spills, then burned.

/ Preventative maintenance #6  
I’m guilty of reusing oily rags over and over (and over) before properly disposing of them. I’m cheap too, but dumb. I’ll have to get with the program.

/ Preventative maintenance #7  
Makes me cringe when someone spills something and then throws or uses some money bought product on it. I even have old cat litter, I keep forgetting to use on oil spills, except what to do with the contaminated litter? Buring rags is better.

/ Preventative maintenance #8  
A good start would be to invest in a pressure washer. It makes regular servicing less of a chore and easier to spot the start of potential “issues” whether it be an oil leak, hairline crack or failed weld.

If funds permit, make that a HOT pressure washer.
Hot high pressure water is vastly superior to just high pressure cold water.
Cold water smears much of the old grease around.
Hot high pressure water (with soap) blows the old grease completely away.

/ Preventative maintenance #9  
The best form of preventative maintenance is prudent operation...

/ Preventative maintenance #10  
I have a steam genny. The grease doesn't "blow" anywhere and just kind of dissolves and runs down. Same for your skin if the beast happens to turn on you. Kind of dangerous.