Price for 2002 2166 with 75 hrs?

/ Price for 2002 2166 with 75 hrs? #1  

gjjbmoore

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT2542
Is there a blue book for used tractors? The dealer has a 2166 with 75 hrs. It was manufactured in late 2002 but not sold until 2003. He took it in on a trade from the original owner. The tractor is immaculate. It was obviously stored inside. He is asking $2000. He will give us a 60 day warranty. Is the asking price reasonable or should we just buy a new 2542 for $1000 more? Thanks for the help.

BTW, this is gjjbmoore's wife. He has made me addicted to these boards. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Price for 2002 2166 with 75 hrs? #2  
What sized mower deck does the 2166 have? Is it a single cyl 16hp?

Joel

/ Price for 2002 2166 with 75 hrs?
Yes, it is a single cyclinder engine. It is not as smooth as the newer twin cyclinder engines. The steering seems a little looser than the new ones too, even though there are only 76 hours on the tractor. And the deck is a 42". I guess we are looking for a good deal on a used GT Cub, but people who have them, hold onto them. I saw the post for a new GT2550 for sale, but that's too big for me.

/ Price for 2002 2166 with 75 hrs? #4  
As you've probably seen from other posts, I like the cut quality and consistancy of the 44" deck better than the 42", but much of that depends on what you are tying to cut. If you are in the market for the 42", this would be a great deal. A new 2542 would cost you $1000+ more. Single cyl vs. V-twin doesn't mean much to me. I've owned both. Smoothness has more to do with the design quality of the machine. 16hp is plenty of power for a 2K series machine and a 2 blade deck. Single cyl is cheaper and easier to maintain, plus they use less $3/gal+ gasoline! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Joel

/ Price for 2002 2166 with 75 hrs? #5  
I'm not trying to push my tractor (well actually I am), but the only difference between a 2544 and a 2550 is one HP and six inches of deck. I always have heard the slightly bigger deck makes it easier to mow around trees and other obstacles (the deck sticks out from the tractor a bit).

Anyway, best of luck.

/ Price for 2002 2166 with 75 hrs? #6  
Looking at histories on e-pay, the dealer price on that used 2166 is a little high- it should fetch in the $1300-1500 range with those hours. I'd say that 60 day, "warranty," is carrying a $500 price tag to it. In that case I'd easily spend the extra cash on a new machine with a much longer warranty.

Contrary to logic and belief, twin cylinder small engines do not cost more to maintain or use more fuel than singles HP, age, and technology being equal. (Ex, compare 20 HP Kohler Courage single to 20 HP Courage twin.) Fuel consumption HP to HP is about the same, but the twin should be noticeably smoother and have a more powerful feel to it. Maintenance is about the same amount of oil and about the same price oil/air filter. Difference could come at rebuild time as twin has more moving parts, but in the case of most LT's the engine outlives the tractor most often anyways. The 16 HP Kohler Command single in my Craftsman was good-- but the 18 HP Honda V twin in my CC--- Just picture in your mind your VERY FAVORITE beautiful naked lady! It's that much of a difference when the engine is SMOOTH /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif