Price Guidance for Ford 8N

/ Price Guidance for Ford 8N
Thank you everyone for all your comments and my apologies for my belated reply.

I did some more research on the tractor using the excellent "spotting guide" on Smith's Ford 8N site, and have figured out it is really a 1951 tractor, not a 1947 as I thought. I missed some digits in the S/N on my fist look at it, thus my mistake on the year. All of the visible features and enhancements shown for a 1951 on the Smith's website (side mount dist, steering box upgrade, etc) are on this tractor.

In the end, I decided to take the tractor for $2,000, with a back blade included. From the discussions here, that may be a bit much, but as others have stated, I place a lot of stock in the fact that I know the history of this tractor over the last 10 years or so. Besides, my brother has done a lot for me over the years, not to mention me borrowing his other tractors on several occasions, so paying a few hundred extra dollars in this case is not a big deal to me.

Anyway, thanks once again.

/ Price Guidance for Ford 8N #12  
jurtz
I think you did fine in the transaction. I re read the list of four things that you said didn't work right and I don't see anything there that will cost $50. to fix good as new. The side mount distributor will prove to be nice to work on if necessary and should be trouble free other than the usual tuneup points and coil business.
In this day and age if you can buy something 50 years old and it works you know you have something worthwhile.
simonmeridew

/ Price Guidance for Ford 8N #13  
2000 is decent deal.. I've paid more for tractors needing extensive work.

soundguy

/ Price Guidance for Ford 8N #14  
jurtz,
I currently have a 2-n listed on e-bay. I put a reserve on it,
and a buy it now for $2,700.00. It has a ton of new goodies
on it. It is in GREAT mechanical condition, as well as looks good. I think the price you mentioned is a little high. Here in
missouri, they consistently go for $1,800 to $2,500.00 all
depending on condition. I have been at equipment auctions
and seen them go for less than $2,000.00 and price included
implements like brushog, blade etc. They generally ran well
and were in reasonable condition. Hope this helps.
BTW, for you guys that are ready to jump on me, Yes it has
a tiltmeter, but was removed for painting the hood. It is now back on the tractor. Rick /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Price Guidance for Ford 8N #15  
In our area of New York one in the shape you desc ribe would go for $2000 to $2500. All the problems you describe are easy fixes, just get a good manual. you can get a new wiring harness for under $25 and you can install it in a couple of hours. That will probably fix both your electrical problems.

/ Price Guidance for Ford 8N #16  
I just ran across this thread and learned what 8Ns are going for today. I am amazed. I last bought one in 1975 for $1000 as an "old" tractor. I ran it for 4 years with just routine maintenance as my only tractor on my 33 acre horse farm until one of the cylinders wore through the cylinder sleeve. I got $500 for it on a trade in on a Ford 600 series diesel. I guess I should have kept it.

Steve B