pricing a tilling job

/ pricing a tilling job #11  
I started doing some side jobs last summer, mostly moving fill or box scapring and raking. I started out w/ $50 to show up (minimum) and $25/hr. This worked pretty well until I got a job about 30-45 minutes away, which was the first job I had to trailer to. I never factored the trailer loading (both coming and going) and travel time. This wound up cutting significantly into my $s/hr.

Some people want a complete job estimate. I learned the hard way you should include extra time into the estimate to account for travel, getting stuck, equipment breaks, flat tires, and other unforseen problems. Usually the customer finds one or two more things they want done before you leave and if you completed the job without problems you can throw these in for free in you feel the need. Plus, I found I usually get one or two more jobs from the one I'm currently doing, so that could be factored into your final charge.

Another issue I had was working for a contractor as a "sub." My area is prospering with new buildings and many people are "contracting" without much knowledge / experience. I looked over the job, gave a time estimate, and general directions on where the fill should go. First weekend I was there the fill wasn't. When the fill did get there it was in the wrong spots which meant more time to complete the job.

I made the mistake of telling the customer the payment arrangement I had with the "contractor" which p/o'd the contractor and then I had to go direct with the customer. I know its common practice for the contractor to make a percentage off of the subs, but apparently this one was planning on making quite a bit of money off of my work. At $25/hr this customer was willing to keep me there for what seemed like forever. Also customers and new contractors don't always have the money they say they have. I plan on getting about half the job cost from most people up front from now on.

I found I can't be afraid to tell a customer what I can't or won't do. There's not enough money to keep driving your tires over glass, to me at least. Some jobs require a backhoe or bulldozer but your cheaper so a customer will see if you can do it first. More work is tempting, but at what cost to you and your machine? There's also the issue of observing property lines or wetland areas, etc. etc.

Lastly, discuss where pipes, septics, wells, wires, graves, or anything else may be and who will be responsible for any damage. I uncovered a cable wire by just spinning my tires on one site. No damage to the cable and by code it is supposed to be buried deeper than an inch in the ground, but who would be responsible if it split? All I know is it'd be ugly......

And this was what I learned in just the first year! Can't wait for this summer!

/ pricing a tilling job #12  
Hi AVCLAY,

Sounds like you learned a LOT. Next year, at this time, I should have some horror stories as well.

I think you hit on one of the key things--know when to say NO Thanks to a job. I think an easy way is just to say "that's beyond what my equipment can do, sorry".

We also have retrofitted cable TV lines that are either laying on top of the ground or 1" deep. I plan to insist on a dig safe marking before I do anything that digs more than tilling. When we tilled our back yard this fall, I chopped up 10 ft of cable. The company came out, repaired it, and laid it on top of the ground as usual for that 10 ft. I ripped a trench with one ripper blade and put it 12 inches down! End of problem, for that section. (Sure hope they used a waterproof connector on the splice!)

I plan to have a website where people can view my work (so far, it's only my backyard, but we've done alot). On that site, I plan to list all I can and CANNOT do. Things like dozing, digging a basement, trenching for footings, etc--you have to go elsewhere.

I don't plan to haul dirt in or out, I'll just level what they want.

I'm also not an engineer, so I don't plan to offer advice on how to build or install something. They say "Dig Here". That's where I'll dig. But it won't be my design.

Best wishes,
Ron

/ pricing a tilling job #13  
Something to think about is insurance. I took out a landscapers policy last month. I'm doing some snowplowing and I needed to get insurance on my equipment so I figured I'd get what I need now.

/ pricing a tilling job #14  
We charge as I mentioned above. $45/hr, 3 hour minimum.

You mention a really good point. Have your job checked by "USA"(Underground Service Alert here in Calif). It is easy to do, and costs nothing. At least that will take care of marking the major utilites. the rest you need to discuss with the homeowner or contractor.

And don't be afraid to say no. Tearing up your equipment and running more hours is not usually the way to go.

We have a network started. If I can not or do not want to do a job, I will tell the customer about someone who has the right equipment. Never know, they may need work later and ask you since you were helpful.

/ pricing a tilling job #16  
Nice page Robert!

I'm thinking along those lines for my webpage. We have a lot of commercial landscapers here, associated with nurseries mostly, so I don't plan to get into that part of the biz. Plus I don't know nothin' about doing that.

I'm just an old farm kid who likes running his tractor, and I'm very good with the loader and other tools.

I also got the liability insurance and loss coverage for off my property. That cost me almost $1K! Couldn't find it for less this year, but plan to shop again at renewal time.

Take Care,
Ron

/ pricing a tilling job #17  
My wife used a simple web designerr that came with our ISP. There are some much better and faster web designer software, but this was free /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Insurance is expensive. It adds to your overhead., like the short list I posted back a ways in this thread. Ouch /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ pricing a tilling job #18  
Insurance...

I tell the prospective customer I have no insurance... and leave it up to them...

Anyone know where the responsibility lies if something happens at the customer's property ?

Them ? ...or me.. ?

Dave...

/ pricing a tilling job #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyone know where the responsibility lies if something happens at the customer's property ?

Them ? ...or me.. ?
)</font>

<font color="red"> YOU!! </font>

I'd be willing to bet YOUR tractor, that unless the customer signed a Hold Harmless agreement waiving all liability for you, you would be held responsible even if you had told them that you didn't have any insurance.

It wouldn't be worth the chance to me. Remember, you're not just concerned with property damage. You have to consider the possibility of bodily injury too. I'd get the insurance.

/ pricing a tilling job #20  
No way would I operate without insurance. If I cannot afford the $700/year then I will keep the tractor to home. Plus, this society is sue happy. I own a campsite and am being sued for $200,000 right now by someone who wasn't a registered camper and was somewhere where she shouldn't have been.
Also, from what I've gathered, you are responsible for what your tractor does, no matter who's operating it.