Pricing

/ Pricing #31  
no its more like 100 miles for a nickle I have seen it happen many times

/ Pricing
A couple K in your pocket is a good sized difference. That's a litttle more than I was talking about! Reread some of my other replies. I'm talking around the $1000 mark. Most dealers should be able to come within $1000 of each other. I in no way expect someone to go out and pay $2000 more for a tractor than what you could get it for a 100 miles down the road.

PEACE

/ Pricing #33  
You don't think a $1,000.00 difference for an equally equipped anything is HUGE ? OK, justify to me (us) why I should give you $1,000.00 more than Joe for an identical product.

/ Pricing #34  
Dummy,

Guess you and I are similarly (dumb) or financially impaired -- I don't know how much you pay for gas, but I could force myself to drive 100 miles to save $1000. I stand on my previous response to Observationist.

Bill

/ Pricing
SHEESH has this ever gotten screwed up. I guess what I'm trying to say and what I mean are 2 different things. He was talking 2K I just took around a thousand as a vague, quick answer. I'm talking guys price matching and driving rediculous amounts of miles to save that 1K. For 1000 I'd drive 100 miles too. Get below that by much and I'd have to weigh the time/money/delivery/attitude/service issue. My time is worth more than that!! Maybe you all have more time than I do. Another thing to remember, dealers may have to service your tractor but that don't mean you'll be at the top of their list. Some knock money off(parts&implements) for people who buy from them everybody else pays more. It's happened to me!

PEACE

/ Pricing #36  
Yep,exactly!! Just because your local dealer is $500 or so more than the eDealer,you pass him buy on the purchase. But now I bet that when you need odds and ends,parts and service you look to him because he is close. What happens if he is gone next week,and you now have to drive to your eDealer,who has nothing in stock,but can get it for you within a week or so? It costs $$$ to stock parts!!

Now if your local guy is thousands higher than that is different. But if he is in the ballpark of say 4% or so on a $20,000 tractor why go elsewhere? In the long run you'll be glad you stayed home!!

/ Pricing #37  
you cant explain that to these guys they just dont understand it. I have tried many times myself. Our dealership is never the most expensive, but we are also not always the least expensive in the area. We also quote the exact same price to everyone. We set our margin at 9% and if we can not create a good customer relationship on that we say sorry we cant help you, if someone counter offers we show them how much of a discount we are all ready giving them off list, then we say sorry this is what we have to have to do business with you and take care of you as a customer. We also let them know that if they can find it for less money they should buy it there and we will have no ill feelings. after all we are selling over 300 compact tractors a year plus everything else we do so if we miss one once in a while there is not much you can do. Some of it is also attributed to personality conflicts you just cant please everyone.

/ Pricing #38  
Bill,

I'm with you. I WILL BE driving an extra seventy miles to purchase from another competitively priced dealer a 4710 in next few days to save approx. $1,100 on a comparably equipped tractor package whose price my local dealer could not or will not match. And I say why not? Same machine, beautiful drive through rural NY farm country, maybe an extra $15 in gas. That $1,100 savings I'll use to buy another implement.

This, gentlemen, is what free market economics is all about. Assuming demand remains a constant, increased competition results in increased (or potentially so) supply translating into lower prices. Converse is also true. Reduced competition results in monopolistic or oligopolistic chicaneries resulting in higher prices (whether through intended collusion or not). All other things considered equal, market competition levels the playing field considerably with the strongest dealers surviving. And so I say, "What's wrong with this?"

Bob

/ Pricing #39  
Woodbeaf,

<font color=blue>"...if he is in the ballpark of say 4% or so on a $20,000 tractor why go elsewhere? In the long run you'll be glad you stayed home"</font color=blue>

That's because 4% of $20K still translates to $800 in savings. Again, this isn't chump change. It'll pay for an additional implement or hydraulic add on. And, no, in the long run, I'll be glad I was able to locate a more competitively priced dealer. And I don't care if he is 70 miles away. Still a beautiful ride through rural NY farm country that'll result in savings on those expensive JD parts in spite of the $15 or so extra in travel expenses.

Come on, everyone. What do ya'll think we have, deep pockets. Most of us are just plain old, middle income tractor owners or tractor owner wannabees. We're not Wall Street traders who make $1M bonuses who could afford to pluck down $30K, 40K, or more on a tractor in the blink of an eye without a second glance. Maybe you guys were brought up and live in this latter economic grouping and $500 or 1K is like pocket change to you that you wouldn't miss one moment from the next. Unfortunately, I'm in the former economic class, trained to save and then spend prudently. I scramble to save my dollars just to buy an implement or a tractor for that matter. I've been saving for my tractor for over two years. And I'm certainly going to make that $800 or 1K or 2K go as far as it will go.

Oh for Pete's sake, nuf-ced on this already. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/ Pricing #40  
I was pretty sure I was going to purchase a Kubota L3010 w/ FEL & BH and a 2000 NH 1920 fell into my lap. I saved over $10,000 buying a tractor that had 72 hours on it. I had looked at NH at a dealer 10 miles away but decided to go with the Kubota instead. I gave the salesman a $50.00 "green" gift certificate(cash) and a thank you card for his help on this tractor. I consider this the best money I have spent and will be doing the same with the service manager. It is just a little thing but it pays for itself many times over in info and advice.

Bill C