PRIME PRE-FILTER MF 1840

/ PRIME PRE-FILTER MF 1840 #1  

acksteveni

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1840
I have just changed the primary and secondary fuel filters on my MF 1840. I've turn on the fuel pump but not turned on the ignition yet. The pre-filter (clear plastic bowl) only partially fills. How do I get this fuel to fill? Thanks for any help.
Ack

/ PRIME PRE-FILTER MF 1840 #2  
Not familiar with your machine, but on my diesels I crack the fuel line bleeder to clear air and prime the fuel system.
Bleeders are typically found on the sediment filter, secondary filter, or at the injector pump inlets.
My primary sediment filter has a bleeder screw and priming pump that quickly fills the bowl.

/ PRIME PRE-FILTER MF 1840
Thanks, I've cracked the bleeder on the secondary and the injectors. Still doesn't want to fill.

/ PRIME PRE-FILTER MF 1840 #4  
Uhmm. Maybe loosen up the sediment bowl retaining ring, then run the electric lift pump.
That's all I got, good luck!

Last edited:
   / PRIME PRE-FILTER MF 1840 #6  
My Massey 1736 has a primer plunger on top that you use to purge the air out of its filter housing and the main filter housing by cracking their vents.

1705246068577.png

Well that's a nice feature. Unfortunately, no plunger on mine. Maybe need to switch that for one like yours.

/ PRIME PRE-FILTER MF 1840 #8  
Well that's discouraging. Does your manual give you any advise on priming?

Yes it is discouraging and frustrating. The owner's manual lacks information on how to perform this basic procedure. I even paid to download a service manual but again nothing helpful. Wondering if there is a good service manual for this MF 1800 series compact tractor.

So I figured it out (with some advice). With the 2 filters on my 1840, the key is to bleed the air from the top of the the "main filter" (steel canister), labeled #2 in the owner's manual. Once I opened that 19mm bolt, the clear bowl "pre-filter" filled right up. Thanks to everyone for their assistance. I was getting tired of swimming in diesel for the last couple of days trying to figure it out.