Problem with gt 2550

/ Problem with gt 2550 #11  
Hi ssellerso,
I have to say it stinks when things aren't running right. I am no mechanic but here is what i would start off doing. I would disconnect the fuel line at the carb to make sure i have good fuel flow. If not check for areas of blockage. Now i would plug the end of the line before attaching it back to the card and some how apply a small amount of pressure to the tank to check for any small pin hole leaks, which may be allowing air to get in. Wouldn't hurt to spray some carb cleaner once you do get it running for the short time it does. With the fuel now days its tough to keep crud from forming inside the carb. Next i would try new plugs but i don't think this is the problem. Can't hurt it. If you are able to give the carb a good cleaning i would do so. Check air filter. Also check oil level as low oil level would cause engine to shut down. Once engine sits oil drains back and allows it to fire back up. I would try these steps and see how you make out. I almost forgot Bob had a good idea about slacking on the fuel cap making sure vent doesn't have a plug. Yes i would also change the fuel filter. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

/ Problem with gt 2550 #12  
Bad gas cap won't show up until engine has run long enough to create a vacuum in gas tank, at which time the tractor could be warmed up. Just a thought. Definitely sounds like fuel starvation for some reason. To prove it you could spray starting fluid into intake when it starts to die and see if it picks up speed. That would eliminate an electrical problem like a bad coil.

Bob B.

/ Problem with gt 2550 #13  
I would suspect the vacuum fuel pump..If bad replace with electric fuel pump.

/ Problem with gt 2550 #14  
I had a similar problem with a 2284. In my case, I removed the fuel line before the filter and had really limited flow.
I blew compressed air back through and it corrected it.
I assumed there was a screen on the tank outlet that was full of debris.

I probably should have removed and verified, maybe on the next recurrence.

It's been 30 hours or so.

Good Luck,
Curt