Problem with my ZD21 please help

/ Problem with my ZD21 please help #1  

zukgod

Hello all this is my first post and wanted to introduce myself. I have a small farm here in Washington state and have a few tractors and this one mower, and I am adicted to tractors. :D

Anyhow my problem is I have a 2002 ZD21 that I purchased from my father in laws work, it has high hours 1900 I think. It runs great, but I purchased it with the problem they seem to be plagued with the drive box on the left or drivers side has gone out and wasted the box. Everything else looks to be fine, but I need to replace all those parts and flush or replace the trans, pretty sure I can get away with just a flush. The dealer quoted them $5k to fix so they sold it to me for a song.
My question is should I fix this thing up, I can do all the work myself, or should I part it out and use the engine for other projects? I was thinking of fixing it up to mow our lawn which is about 3 acres, the rest is kept down by animals. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Just for the record I have all the maint records and it has been extremely well maintained.
Thanks again for your time.

Josh

/ Problem with my ZD21 please help #2  
Josh, I'm no expert but IMHO if you can get the parts to repair reasonablely priced I would be tempted to repair it. However I would hate to see you fix it and a few hours later somthing that didn't get washed out or the other unit fails in the same manner. These are great machines but are a little costly to get parts for.

/ Problem with my ZD21 please help #3  
We've done them for a lot less then 5,000! Actually less then half that depending on how bad they are.

The ZD's we've sold have been in the 3,000 plus hour range and still going so you do have some life left.

/ Problem with my ZD21 please help
Is there a good place to buy parts that won't rip me off? Thanks for the help guys.

/ Problem with my ZD21 please help
How much should I expect to pay for the gear box? And is there a better place to get them from than my local dealer? Thanks.