Tiller Problem with "NEW" 6 FT King Kutter Rotary Tiller

/ Problem with "NEW" 6 FT King Kutter Rotary Tiller #41  
One "other thought".
Did you rummage through the metric or SAE collection of retaining rings when you were at the hardware store ?
I am thinking that it is "POSSIBLE" that there is a SNAFU somewhere between the manufacturer, the parts counter suppliers and wherever else.
Without knowing whether specs (if any) are listed in metric or SAE and who complies with what wherever the groove is cut, where the retaining rings are bought in from, etc.
It could be a mess.

Probably metric in the country of manufacture, but who knows how torqued up things might get when spares are spec'd for the US market.

Maybe this isn't a_NOTHER thought, since your post had a mixed inch/metric reference in it ?
(-:
"the closest size, 1.5", which is about .6 mm smaller than the metric size.

That is WAY smaller than 40mm
Ummm,, 38.1 ?

I would guess that MIGHT be for a groove in a 40mm SHAFT ?
I would also guess that a 40mm ring would fall right off a 40mm shaft, but you seem to already know that (-:

/ Problem with "NEW" 6 FT King Kutter Rotary Tiller #42  
Nice paint job. Glad you got it working.

/ Problem with "NEW" 6 FT King Kutter Rotary Tiller #43  
That blue KKII is just so wrong. . .:rolleyes::D

Glad it's workin' for you. I sure love mine, even if it's yellow.;)

/ Problem with "NEW" 6 FT King Kutter Rotary Tiller
It did seem a little sacrilegious to paint it, but I am glad I did. Changing the color from yellow to blue helped me forget the trials and tribulations associated with this tiller. However, I am sure that yellow is the proper color for the majority of KKII owners. There are still a few places on the underside of my tiller that confirm its yellow origins. Thanks to everyone for sharing my good fortune to get this tiller operating again.

/ Problem with "NEW" 6 FT King Kutter Rotary Tiller #45  
I've been talking with an auctioneer friend here of late about "issues" a few of us are having with another auctioneer in the area who's been known to deliberately deceive buyers. I'm trying to gather info before speaking with my attorney. So....What I have is "one mans opinion", albiet the opinion of someone who SHOULD know what he speaks of. Here's some of what I was told.

Removing serial numbers, destroying and/or hiding records of past ownership, service records, and previous history of an item being auctioned (or sold in ANY fashion) becomes illegal (either/or in civil terms or criminal) as soon as it's done DELIBERATELY to deceive eventual buyers. The trick is proving intent. Because of the nature of lawsuits, lawyers (the shady kind), and greedy auctioneers (not ALL fit that stereotype), companies attempting to liquidate old stock, damaged or returned stock, obsolete inventory, or overstocked items have a certain obligation to protect their own self interests. MOST will do what is required to insure there is no damage to their company or it's reputation. That's why they send it through an independently run auction rather than selling it themselves, or even sponsoring their own auction.

Enter todays tough economy.....

Firms are dumping inventory into auction markets at a pace never seen before. It's a simple matter of survival at this point in the game. MOST auctioneers will do whatever they can to make buyers look at sale items through rose colored glasses. Most auctioneers have their disclaimer at the beginning of each sale that among other things, explains how you're buying "as is and where is. No warranty expressed or implied". That's their way out. In the end, you have to realize that almost anything "new" ending up on an auction block has some sort of tainted history. That tiller would have been at a normal retail outlet if it didn't have a story to tell. Just count your lucky stars it wasn't worse that it turned out.
When the auctioneer stated the item was "new" it superceded his previous "as is" disclaimer. If it was indeed "new" the buyer would still have recourse via a factory warranty.

/ Problem with "NEW" 6 FT King Kutter Rotary Tiller #46  
It did seem a little sacrilegious to paint it, but I am glad I did. Changing the color from yellow to blue helped me forget the trials and tribulations associated with this tiller. However, I am sure that yellow is the proper color for the majority of KKII owners. There are still a few places on the underside of my tiller that confirm its yellow origins. Thanks to everyone for sharing my good fortune to get this tiller operating again.

Charles - You did a great job in painting it. It looks great!

/ Problem with "NEW" 6 FT King Kutter Rotary Tiller #47  
Nice paint job. The blue looks much better then the yellow.

/ Problem with "NEW" 6 FT King Kutter Rotary Tiller #48  
Man, that thing looks good. Now you've done it. I've often thought about painting mine JD Green and seeing yours just put me over the top.

A paintin' I will go... a paintin' I will go... hi-ho-merry-o a paintin' I will go!!!

/ Problem with "NEW" 6 FT King Kutter Rotary Tiller
Nunyabinis, Yes, I think it would look real nice in green, too.

/ Problem with "NEW" 6 FT King Kutter Rotary Tiller #50  
Charles, did you brush or spray that paint? It looks good either way.