Problems starting IH 784

/ Problems starting IH 784 #11  
So it now runs with a new starter ?

/ Problems starting IH 784
It always ran.
It was just was an absolute pig to start and would not go without 'addiction in a can'. At the moment it is a lot better at starting and will do it off the key all the time. I will just have to see what the cold weather brings.
Although it is not run for more than 1/2 hour a day at the present time it is still invaluable for loading heston hay bales from the rick into the back of the truck for feeding sheep.
This might not be the ultimate solution to keep it running sweetly or for many years to come, indeed i can forsee many other faults and niggles coming to the surface, but so long as i can keep her running for the next couple of winters with minimal outlay then i am quite happy with the result (for the time being)

/ Problems starting IH 784 #13  
Hi, how did your 784 start for you last winter?

Where are you, and what are the typical overnight temperatures you are trying to start it in?

I have had a 784 for about 15 years now and struggled with getting it started for years, until replacing the starter for the second time. 3 or 4 years ago we got a starter that looked like a Lucas but apparently is geared internally and spins faster and this actually turned the engine quicker than either the original Bosch or Lucas starters and it now starts quite reliably. My tractor had the ether gear stripped off of it before I got it, so the other thing I did was added a manifold pre-heater, which apparently was common on tractors shipped to some parts of Europe. You hold the key for about 25 seconds just short of the start position to warm this up and this will give you about 10 deg C colder starts. Once the temp is at or below about -10C I then plug it in. If I had to start a 784 in the cold remotely, I'd take a portable gasoline powered generator on the back of my pickup to the tractor and run the block heater for 30-45 minutes before starting it!

/ Problems starting IH 784 #14  
Hi I have an International 784 can anyone tell me where I can find the Vin or chassis number?

/ Problems starting IH 784 #15  
Hi I have an International 784 can anyone tell me where I can find the Vin or chassis number?

Do you have a loader on it? I don't have mine anymore, but as I remember it was down handy to the front axle but hidden by the mounting plate for the 2250 loader. I belive it was on the left side