'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #1  

Bob_Young

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 4000; Ford 2000(both 3cyl.);JD40; 2004 Kubota L4300; 2006 Kubota B7610; new 2007 Kubota MX5000
Other than price, how do you tell the Professional saws from the Homeowner versions. I've had much better luck with the Professional saws, but they are pricey. My Stihl MS261C, which I think is Professional, is light-years better/more reliable than my Homeowner MS250...which was always hard starting and now has no spark. But the 261C cost a lot more than the 250. Both my Huskies have done well, but I paid high prices for both. I guess they're Professional grade.

I've got enough saws that have issues and would just as soon pay the extra money for saws that run when needed . If price alone determines which saws will hold up, how do you look for bargains in the new saw market? Would like to find Professional reliability at Homeowner prices...at least occasionally.

Using price alone as a determining factor seems a setup for scams.
Bob

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #2  
Not sure about Stihl's (and I have a couple) but Echo saws are listed on their website as 'homeowner' or professional arborist saws. I buy the arborists saws all the time. really become 'attached' to Echo saws. Half the price of a Stihl and all are made in Japan.

Example, I had a Stihl top handle arborist saw I paid 700 bucks for and smashed it under the truck wheel. Bought an Echo CS top handle arborist saw for 400 bucks less. Dang good saw too. The Echo
'professional' saws all come with no cat in the muffler, the homeowner ones all have a cat in the muffler.

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #3  
Additionally, just bought an Echo Timber Bear 50 cc saw. No cat in the muffler. 20" bar but will pull a 24 as well.

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #4  
From my "looking", Pro saws usually have higher grade internals. Up graded bearings, advanced cylinder porting/liners. Magnesium cases instead of alu etc.
I'm not sure about ignition components nor carburation. Seems like those would be pretty standard as far as price vs quality.

I'm looking hard at the 60cc Makita saw. (prograde) A lot of saw for $650.

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #5  
I have found I like the battery powered saws. I can change out the bars/chain and I don't have to struggle with starting. I just put a fresh battery and go. Sometimes I'll go through a couple batteries but for the most part one will do it. They don't idle and only run when you need them to cut. I still have my Poulan but it just sits on the shelf...

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #6  
I have found I like the battery powered saws. I can change out the bars/chain and I don't have to struggle with starting. I just put a fresh battery and go. Sometimes I'll go through a couple batteries but for the most part one will do it. They don't idle and only run when you need them to cut. I still have my Poulan but it just sits on the shelf...
Are they any good for cutting fuel wood off a pile? My wood (heat) comes in log length. Cutting 1/2 cord in a session seems like a lot for a battery saw. Sometimes I think a corded electric motor saw would be useful, but then I remember how heavy automotive starter motors are. ;-)

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #7  
Are they any good for cutting fuel wood off a pile? My wood (heat) comes in log length. Cutting 1/2 cord in a session seems like a lot for a battery saw. Sometimes I think a corded electric motor saw would be useful, but then I remember how heavy automotive starter motors are. ;-)
I think they do, especially if you already have some batteries for your other devices (Like DeWalt). They sharpen well and cut like a champ. Doesn't have the "bogging" down that I sometimes get with my gas saw.

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #8  
After owning a battery saw, Milwaukee, for a few years now I’ll never be without one. I don’t think they are ready to take on firewood processing yet. But for trail clearing, limbing, or 3-4 softwood cuts under 8” they are very hard to beat for handiness. It’s what rides in the SxS or tractor for me.

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #9  
The electrics might be an ideal "Truck Saw",

Except that the real need would be an unexpected freezing rain in winter when the batteries are stone cold and two months since last use. ;-)

/ 'Professional' grade saws vs. 'Homeowner' saws #10  
On Stihl's website, they show the different saws and difference between pro and homeowner. I have 2 homeowner saws. Ms271 and a new ms250. My 271 is 10 years old and cuts about 7 cords a year. I've used my 250 for about 2 cords so far, since xmas. No complaints on either, start right up, and run strong.