Project cj-5 jeep 1971 225 v6

/ Project cj-5 jeep 1971 225 v6
>>>>>>>bump<<<<<<

/ Project cj-5 jeep 1971 225 v6 #13  
>>>>>>>>>>BUMP<<<<<<<<<<

Oh man, does that bring back some memories. I used to race Jeeps back in the day. This is my 1966/67 Jeep that I built from ground up. The body tub is two bodies repaired and then welded together. The front end is f/glass. The original engine was a 225 V-6 and I changed that to a 231 and then to a 252, also V-6's. Had Hilborn fuel injection for it, and V-8 cylinder heads, along with lots of other goodies. Sure do miss that hobby! Good luck selling yours! I'm sure someone will be happy to take it home with them.

Last edited:
   / Project cj-5 jeep 1971 225 v6 #14  
Oh man, does that bring back some memories. I used to race Jeeps back in the day. This is my 1966/67 Jeep that I built from ground up. The body tub is two bodies repaired and then welded together. The front end is f/glass. The original engine was a 225 V-6 and I changed that to a 231 and then to a 252, also V-6's. Had Hilborn fuel injection for it, and V-8 cylinder heads, along with lots of other goodies. Sure do miss that hobby! Good luck selling yours! I'm sure someone will be happy to take it home them.

wow thought I was the only one, have a 1970 jeepster eventually going to build the buick 340 i picked up and swap out the 225v6
Few years back, I built a 1969 Jeepster Commando and installed a fresh Pontiac 455 that was punched out to a 462, floor console shifted turbo 400, Tilt gm power steering painted it bright red, got to drive it around for a couple months before had to sell it for bills.
You could tap the brake at about 45mph and floor it, it would smoke the tires to 70+, I miss that one!!! can't seem to find any pictures of that jeep but here's a picture of another engine swap car I still have- it's an 84 Mazda Rx7 with a 1969 Pontiac GTO 400 YS engine in it,dead stock other than the headers and 800 cfm Quadra jet, rx7 8.jpg trans is a 200-4r

Last edited:
   / Project cj-5 jeep 1971 225 v6 #15  
wow thought I was the only one, have a 1970 jeepster eventually going to build the buick 340 i picked up and swap out the 225v6
Few years back, I built a 1969 Jeepster Commando and installed a fresh Pontiac 455 that was punched out to a 462, floor console shifted turbo 400, Tilt gm power steering painted it bright red, got to drive it around for a couple months before had to sell it for bills.
You could tap the brake at about 45mph and floor it, it would smoke the tires to 70+, I miss that one!!! can't seem to find any pictures of that jeep but here's a picture of another engine swap car I still have- it's an 84 Mazda Rx7 with a 1969 Pontiac GTO 400 YS engine in it,dead stock other than the headers and 800 cfm Quadra jet,View attachment 309606 trans is a 200-4r

son found a couple pictures- not good quality but here they arejeepster red.jpg Jeepster 455.jpg old jeeps are just cool

/ Project cj-5 jeep 1971 225 v6 #16  
wow thought I was the only one, have a 1970 jeepster eventually going to build the Buick 340 i picked up and swap out the 225v6

Yep, there's a few of us left. The Buick 340 V-8 is what I cut my V-6 cylinder heads from. I cut the front hole off the right bank and the rear hole off the left bank. I had to weld end-plates to the remaining head portions, made valve cover spacers/adapters so the V-6 covers would fit, welded the emission ports closed and turned them into water jackets. Made an external engine oil return for the left cylinder head and ran that to the oil pan. People always asked why I used the 340 heads...well, they were about the only head available at that time and they sported larger valves, larger ports and chambers, and they fit the V-6 block.

Sounds like a nice combination. I think the Jeepster is pretty cool looking, and even more-so when it sports a big engine and roll cage. There were plenty of them to compete against in "my time". Had a buddy that built one with a MONSTER big block Ford, nitrous, spooled rear axle, etc, etc, that ran around 3 sec in 100 yds. Those were the days! I finally sold mine because the sport started getting too expensive. The last time I took mine out, it pulled a wheel-stand that put the front end straight up. I had already stretched the wheelbase, but my last motor had too much power for it to be controllable. It was time for it to go because I didn't want to throw any more money at it.
My daughters were so upset that they cried for a week.

You could tap the brake at about 45mph and floor it, it would smoke the tires to 70+, I miss that one!!! can't seem to find any pictures of that jeep but here's a picture of another engine swap car I still have- it's an 84 Mazda Rx7 with a 1969 Pontiac GTO 400 YS engine in it,dead stock other than the headers and 800 cfm Quadra jet,View attachment 309606 trans is a 200-4r

I believe it! Sounds like you like "different things" too! Lol! I'll bet that was job stuffing that engine in a Mazda.

/ Project cj-5 jeep 1971 225 v6 #17  
son found a couple pictures- not good quality but here they areView attachment 309775 View attachment 309773 old jeeps are just cool

Very nice! A friend of mine still has a Commando that he just uses around the house to plow snow. It's not as good of shape as yours, but it's still nice to see that it's still being used. Oh, and yes, Jeeps are very cool. :thumbsup:

/ Project cj-5 jeep 1971 225 v6 #18  
Yep, there's a few of us left. The Buick 340 V-8 is what I cut my V-6 cylinder heads from. I cut the front hole off the right bank and the rear hole off the left bank. I had to weld end-plates to the remaining head portions, made valve cover spacers/adapters so the V-6 covers would fit, welded the emission ports closed and turned them into water jackets. Made an external engine oil return for the left cylinder head and ran that to the oil pan. People always asked why I used the 340 heads...well, they were about the only head available at that time and they sported larger valves, larger ports and chambers, and they fit the V-6 block.

Sounds like a nice combination. I think the Jeepster is pretty cool looking, and even more-so when it sports a big engine and roll cage. There were plenty of them to compete against in "my time". Had a buddy that built one with a MONSTER big block Ford, nitrous, spooled rear axle, etc, etc, that ran around 3 sec in 100 yds. Those were the days! I finally sold mine because the sport started getting too expensive. The last time I took mine out, it pulled a wheel-stand that put the front end straight up. I had already stretched the wheelbase, but my last motor had too much power for it to be controllable. It was time for it to go because I didn't want to throw any more money at it.
My daughters were so upset that they cried for a week.

I believe it! Sounds like you like "different things" too! Lol! I'll bet that was job stuffing that engine in a Mazda.
Wow that Jeep sounds like a real!! animal.. Never raced any of my Jeeps, but tried a small amount of drag racing at a small track in the early 80s As for the 340's think they maybe my personal favorite engine in that size feel they were not given their due...
You'll have laugh at this-but the first Pontiac we put in was the same year wt 4 speed block with a Ram Air 4 cam in it. Cam developed a flat lobe, pulled it-still on a stand.
then built a 1976 455 H.O. some port matched,6x 9.6 to one heads, put a new Crane -Ram Air 4 cam in it and Rhoads lifters.. Wiped 3 lobes, within 2000 miles, did have an opportunity to chase down a Ferarri Testarossa on a trip up to the ski resort ( they were putting on some kind of high dollar event that day) I think guy in the Testarossa was more than a little ticked off that he couldn't pull away from an old Mazda with peeling paint...anyway pulled that engine and my son had this 400 , he had replaced with an Olds 455. So this little RX-7 is now on its third Pontiac engine,:confused2: going to replace the cam and lifters on the 455 and re install it... As far as the jeepster in the picture sold it years ago, but found another one, Green this time and it has the flanged 44 rear axle:thumbsup: got behind on bills, sold it .
Was driving by the house where the people lived who bought it and it was for sale again!! Got it back for a hundred less than I sold it to them for:cool2: Now have to catch up on everything else, before I can fix it up.... Oh yea, one more thing the guy that bought the red one i painted and put the new 455 (Completely rebuilt) in- Whined and moaned for over 2 hours, kicking tires and negotiating A roll cage was part of the requirement for the purchaser to install-and no inexperienced drivers, that got me a Whopping cash price of $3200 Needed to make some house payments...

Last edited:
>>>>>>>>>>>bump<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>bump<<<<<<<<<<<<