Propane Monitoring Device

/ Propane Monitoring Device #1  

Bikewanderer

Gold Member
I would love to get a device that would not only allow me to know the current propane level but to look at past usage in order to predict what I need to prebuy in the summer. I don't have a huge problem with propane, but it's something I worry about (generally when I'm out of town and can't check). I've been looking at this:

It looks like exactly what I want (wifi is fine), but the reviews on it suck. Generally I'd just like to know current level and a way to graph over time to see when it was filled and by how much, etc. Does anybody have a recommendation here?

/ Propane Monitoring Device #2  
I would love to get a device that would not only allow me to know the current propane level but to look at past usage in order to predict what I need to prebuy in the summer. I don't have a huge problem with propane, but it's something I worry about (generally when I'm out of town and can't check). I've been looking at this:

It looks like exactly what I want (wifi is fine), but the reviews on it suck. Generally I'd just like to know current level and a way to graph over time to see when it was filled and by how much, etc. Does anybody have a recommendation here?
your propane provider has access to cellular monitors that can also send alert when the tank percentage gets to a certain level. And you can buy them for a lot less than $199

/ Propane Monitoring Device #3  
A degree day monitor will do this. Many propane delivery companies use one. After they fill your tank the second time during the heating season, they calculate your usage per degree day. This is an accurate way to know when the truck needs to deliver more propane as long as the monitoring station is not too fat away.

Most weather stations can do this.

/ Propane Monitoring Device
It's really more for my purposes. My propane company has me on a route, so I don't really run out. But it's hard to keep track of also. I never know when they are coming, and only know after the fact how much they put in because the receipt is clipped to the tank lid. It's difficult to know how much I've consumed or how much I have remaining, and it's also hard to tell how much to buy (how much was in the tank when I prebought last year....?).

It would also be nice to be able to understand how much we use heating water for instance, by watching our summer consumption.

/ Propane Monitoring Device #5  
I have the tank utility monitor. It works great

not sure why reviews suck. Have had zero issues after about 1 year use.
updates every 24 hours.

if i reboot my wifi it automatically resets itself

/ Propane Monitoring Device #6  
I don't really see the issue. It sounds like the propane company fills the tank one a month, and they leave a bill. The bill should indicate how many gallons it took to fill the tank.

Save the bills or keep a running tally somewhere, and you have a history of monthly consumption.

My propane only gets filled when I call to request it. I have a reoccurring task that shows up on my phone to check the propane gauge the 1st of each month. It takes hardly any time, and I don't think it warrants a high-tech solution.

/ Propane Monitoring Device #7  
my tank is buried 1000 gal. I don’t want to dig out th3 filling cover during the winter. I try to fill mine only once a year when price is way down in summer.

I set my tank alarm To tell me when tank is at 20%

/ Propane Monitoring Device #8  
I own 4 500 gallon bottles and I usually only run on one. I keep the others full as a hedge on gas cost (not a bad thing right now as I suspect gas will be over 3 bucks a gallon shortly.) Last time I filled the auxiliary bottles, gas was under a buck a gallon.

I just go out and check the gauge, easy peasy.

/ Propane Monitoring Device #9  
I own 4 500 gallon bottles and I usually only run on one. I keep the others full as a hedge on gas cost (not a bad thing right now as I suspect gas will be over 3 bucks a gallon shortly.) Last time I filled the auxiliary bottles, gas was under a buck a gallon.

I just go out and check the gauge, easy peasy.
If they are all filled to 80% , that gives you a 1600 gallon supply. That's a lot of gas, how long does it last you?

/ Propane Monitoring Device #10  
my tank is buried 1000 gal. I don’t want to dig out th3 filling cover during the winter. I try to fill mine only once a year when price is way down in summer.

I set my tank alarm To tell me when tank is at 20%
Do you have to dig it up to have it filled? It does not have an access point at ground level? Never been around a buried tank. My 1000 gallon tank is above ground, so I just read the guage on it.

I own 4 500 gallon bottles and I usually only run on one.

I have the extra capacity for the backup generator. Topped of this in early January, and it is still above 70% because we are heating with a wood boiler. Jon