Proper Garden Tractor RPM Range

/ Proper Garden Tractor RPM Range #11  
Mike, I needed paint in a spray can too, and this auto paint center in our town has these neat gas-rechargeable paint spayers (metal or glass container w/ spray nozzle and replaceable gas cartridge). It solves the spray paint problem with mixed paints for me. I didn't want to have to rent a spray outfit w/ compressor and then go through the learning / mistake process.

Bill

/ Proper Garden Tractor RPM Range #12  
Mike:

You know I am pretty mechanical and I'd agree with everyone else, the RPM indicated sounds more like a weed wacker than a lawn mower. No way a Briggs and Junk will stay together at 6K. It would ventilate the head!! You'd probably have a UFO as long as you weren't in it's path!!

/ Proper Garden Tractor RPM Range #13  
You've got it on wrong setting if you have it has options to change the spark timing do that. engine specs on most are idle 1000-1500 most idles are in the 1450-1550 spec. high idle (noload full throttle )is between 2800-3600 being 3450-3500 being the std spec. some turn more like b/s 20hp.

My tach has 3 differnt settings it's not a tiny tach there non-adjustable but should give some idea . http://www.tinytach.com/origgas.html
TT226NR-2C*
Standard Model, used on engines with one spark firing on each revolution of the crankshaft.
1 cylinder 2 stroke(reads 1x/revolution) Honda engines

4 stroke with electronic ignition and nopoints

2C can also be used with a 2 cylinder engine

Go-Karts generally use 2C

Note: Engines frequently referred to as a "4 stroke" may not be a true 4-stroke because they fire on the exhaust stroke as well---requiring a 2C.

$36.95

TT226R-2C*

$36.95

TT226NR-4C*
Model for engines which have a spark for every 2 revolutions of the engine crankshaft such as those with a distributor with points driven from a camshaft.
KOHLER "K" series is the only Kohler model firing this way. No Hondas fire this way. True 4-stroke with points and distributor, NOT FIRING ON THE EXHAUST STROKE.

Note: Very few engines use a 4C model.

$36.95

TT226R-4C*

$36.95

TT226NR-1C*
Model for twin cylinder engines with a spark firing every 180 degrees of the engine crankshaft.
Jet skis generally use 1C.
Exception: 3 cylinder Jet Skis generally use our special "2X" model Multi (4) CYL=1c wrapped around coil wire.

$36.95

TT226R-1C*

$36.95

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Proper Garden Tractor RPM Range #14  
Sounds like you're having a good time restoring your Horse. I'd love to put mine to work, but I've did something wrong when I reattached the deck. Since it doesn't want to quit raining, this shade tree mechanic, is waiting for dryer ground. Maybe if I lift the front end with a chain fall, I can sit on a folding chair. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Proper Garden Tractor RPM Range
I reset the tach/hourmeter to Option 2 - Spark plug fires once per revolution and it reads correctly now. Max throttle is 3,190 rpm and idle is about 1,700. When I engage the deck and am mowing the yard, it drops to about 2,850 rpm.

Took the hood off, drilled the rivets out that were holding the hood hold downs on and removed them. Sanded, cleaned, primed and painted the outside of the hood. Waiting for it to dry (enamel) so I can paint the inside. I should be able to re-assemble everything tomorrow including putting the new hold downs on, the new headlight bezels as well as the new headlights. Once I wire them up, I will be finished.

This is the tractor (our first) we bought after our daughter (also our first) was born in 1984. We had been using a 21" self-propelled lawn mower. It was taking us too long to cut the yard. So, off we went to the local Wheel Horse dealer. Paid $2,299 for the tractor and $555 for a 42" rear discharge deck. $2,854 was a fortune for us back then. Heck, it's a fortune now! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Still have the original Owner's Manual, Parts and Service Manual as well as the deck manual plus the brochures the dealer gave me when I was mulling what to do. It served us faithfully for over 17 years.

Then we got the TC25D and the Work Horse was relegated to sitting outside. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It sat outside for a winter and every time I'd look at it I'd feel guilty /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. So, this summer I bought a new deck ($799) and it just put the rest of the tractor to shame! So, I bought a cover for the tractor (Curtis) and now I am painting it. I can't wait to see what's next. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Proper Garden Tractor RPM Range #16  
Need to adjust gov. i'd turn the max rpm up to 3400-3600 to get most out of it i'd go to max. while i'as at it. No harm is done i've seen some from factory turning about 3700 at some point on the newest 20hp .
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I done the same thing with a 1984 ford LGT17hp lawn tractor it had a 62" deck and cat 0 hitch then i got my hinomoto and it went to seed . I put a seat out of a new case harvester and all kinds of riggins but the engine had so many hours on it and the starter finaly went out and i wanted some diesel power..

/ Proper Garden Tractor RPM Range #17  
The owner's manual for my A-100 arrived today, and they recommend WFO for mowing. The specs for the B&S call for 3600 rpm tops, and 1700 at idle. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Proper Garden Tractor RPM Range #18  
Slow rpm on air cooled engine tends to overheat engines and tends to burn the valves and cause heads to crack my papaw was give one that his neighbor putted around about 1/2 throttle in high gear mowing it cracked the valve guide and leaks oil a ton.. Keep'er full bore and use gears to control speed..

/ Proper Garden Tractor RPM Range
<font color="blue"> The specs for the B&S call for 3600 rpm tops, and 1700 at idle. </font>
My B & S Twin is 3,300 max and 1,450 idle. The Operator's Manual recommends 3/4 throttle as a minimum for all operations. It lists 'extensive automatic transmission damage' at anything less. For gear models, like mine, 'poor overall tractor performance' would result.