Proper operation of FEL with hydraulic reverser transmission?

/ Proper operation of FEL with hydraulic reverser transmission? #11  
The 4000 series JD cut 'mechanical' PowerReverser (PRT) (not the ePowerReverser - can't speak to that) have only a single multi-disk clutch pack "system" (one forward and one reverse pack).

The clutch 'pedal' simply controls hydraulic flow in the clutch valve body to apply/release clutch pressure.

The dash reverser control lever controls other points in the same valve body to not only apply/release pressure but also to choose which (forward or reverse) clutch pack is in use.

If you can even 'slip' via the reverser lever - you'll still be controlling the same physical clutch.

/ Proper operation of FEL with hydraulic reverser transmission? #12  
bam747 said:
I am trying to figure out the proper way to use a FEL on a tractor with a hydraulic power reverser transmission.

Where I'm getting confused is not with the simple act of reversing the transmissions, but which clutch I should "slip" as I dig into that final few inches of a pile of whatever with the FEL to fill the bucket.

Do you use the left hand reverser lever to slip the hydraulic forward clutch or do you use your left foot to slip the main transmission clutch? Can you even modulate your forward/reverse motion with the reverser control or is it a "digital" all or nothing control?

I use the "left hand reverser lever" for absolutely everything, and never use the main transmission clutch.

I have a Kubota L4200GST ('glide' shift), which has a shuttle-shift type control. The shifter is a "digital" control that changes your drive from forward to reverse (w/ neutral in the middle). You pick a gear, then pop the shifter into forward - the hydraulic clutch pack smoothly engages and off you go. The same thing happens when I shift gears - the hydraulic clutch disengages as I take it out of gear, then smoothly engages after I pop it in. There is no modulation of the hydraulic clutches - they slip fully in and out by themselves after you pop it in/out of gear or engage/disengage the shuttle shift.

I've probably stepped on my manual clutch pedal all of 3 times in the past year, and that was when I was removing and trying to move away from my backhoe without tearing out the hydraulic hoses (which I ended up doing anyway).

I do not use the throttle lock when doing loader work - I use the footpedal, and I generally cut the throttle when shifting from forward to reverse, just to lighten the load on the clutches a little bit - it's second nature anyway.

As far as your specific question, during that last little crunch of the loader, I'm usually off the gas by then, so the tractor slows down by itself. When I'm digging hard stuff, just as I hit the pile or during the last few inches, I simply drop the shift lever into 1st or 2nd to slow things down. There is a momentary delay when you shift (either shifter or 'reverser'), so if I'm trying to maintain loader forward pressure, sometimes I rock backwards - I'll usually step on the brake with the glide shift in neutral when this happens. If clutch slipping is the best menthod for some reason, I tend to "bump" in and out of forward using the shuttle shift, which kind of simulates slipping a clutch. I probably should just step on the clutch pedal, but in all honesty, it never occurs to me - I always forget that I even have a manual clutch until I'm driving away from the pile ;).

JayC

/ Proper operation of FEL with hydraulic reverser transmission? #13  
Spent Thursday on an old Case 680 but this time I put my brain in gear and thought about what I was doing, instead of just doing what came naturally...Low and behold, it doesn't have a main clutch, just the reverser lever. Put it in neutral position to change speed ranges and go to it. Just remember to get the lever into neutral before spinning around to the rear for the hoe and reving up the manual throttle..Like I said, this is a unit with a lot of hours and sloppy shifter linkage.
A great set-up but it takes a minute to switch mindset from the HST foot pedals to a hand lever when using the loader joystick, steering wheel and shifter lever all at once.