Proper PTO RPM?? Will too low hurt the tractor?

/ Proper PTO RPM?? Will too low hurt the tractor? #31  
LOL, not only that JC, if you break your stuff, you learned.

/ Proper PTO RPM?? Will too low hurt the tractor? #32  
Only thing to add is the comment about the chain saw. Since 2-strokes lube through the fuel mix, most recommend running wide open. I think that means the engine should be sized correctly to the task at hand. I don't like the screaming and tend to throttle back when possible, but I keep the lubrication in mind.
Jim

/ Proper PTO RPM?? Will too low hurt the tractor? #33  
Rotary mowers rely on the tip speed for optimal performance, but still cut at various speeds.
More important is the sharpness.
Slow and sharp will perform better than fast and mashing the grass.

You need my tractor! It has 3 PTO speeds and I regularilly blow snow with 750RPM (PTO) and slower engine RPM's and often both settings up there.

The main thing is DO NOT BOG THE ENGINE DOWN.
Let your ears tell you if the engine is happy, think of RPM drops due to lugging as the engine moaning from pain.

After all, is there a big differance between 'idle' and 'fast idle' if the engine is not lugging?

/ Proper PTO RPM?? Will too low hurt the tractor? #34  
Slow and sharp will perform better than fast and mashing the grass.

There's more to it than that.

Finish mowers benefit from sharp blades.. gives a neat cut.

Brush mowers need a much less sharp blade. A 1/32 or 1/16 flat edge is fin for busting brush and sapplings.. and when you hit that rock, burried car rim or lumber.. you don't fold your blade edge over like a razor sharp one would.

soundguy

/ Proper PTO RPM?? Will too low hurt the tractor? #35  
You are correct about the chainsaw, jimmysisson... I should have mention that I do run premium gas with a little extra oil mixed in for good measure. :) I only mix what I need and run it completely out before storing it for long periods.

/ Proper PTO RPM?? Will too low hurt the tractor? #36  
You are correct about the chainsaw, jimmysisson... I should have mention that I do run premium gas with a little extra oil mixed in for good measure. :) I only mix what I need and run it completely out before storing it for long periods.

little extra oil mixed in

Me too!
I'd rather run rich than dry! (also keeps the bugs away)
Besides all my tanks are marked in liters (Canada) and the oil mix charts are in qts/pints/onz!
A guy practically needs to lug a calculator along with his chainsaw.

/ Proper PTO RPM?? Will too low hurt the tractor? #37  
little extra oil mixed in

Me too!
I'd rather run rich than dry! (also keeps the bugs away)
Besides all my tanks are marked in liters (Canada) and the oil mix charts are in qts/pints/onz!
A guy practically needs to lug a calculator along with his chainsaw.

Here's a link to a calculator that handles then funny 'ferrin units of measure.

Gas Oil Mixture Ratio Calculator

And here's a collection of charts all done out.. lots of ferrin' values!

Gas and Oil Fuel Mix Ratio, Fuel Mixing Charts for small gas engines

soundguy

/ Proper PTO RPM?? Will too low hurt the tractor? #38  
As long as she is not bogging down too bad or running hot you should be fine at a slower rpm.... Just listen, look at the gauges , and sort of feel out how she runs ,I do not run at pto speed all the time if I don't need to, but still crank her up from time to time to clean it out some
Just like most have said here too low isn't good , it's more pain and strain on the engine usually than a few more RPM's
Can't wait for spring ..... I miss the smell of fresh cut grass and mowing .

/ Proper PTO RPM?? Will too low hurt the tractor? #39  
Not to steal this thread; but many companies now REQUIRE premium fuel for their 2 cycle engines.

/ Proper PTO RPM?? Will too low hurt the tractor? #40  
I totally understand this question of the 540 pto speed. I've had the same issue.......it didn't sound right at particular times and particular situations. I've tried and tried to keep it to the 540 most of the time and I gave up and went back to what i've always used.......ie: common sense and listening to my equipment........you can hear alot by listening to your gut and your equipment.