Property use by professional photographer

/ Property use by professional photographer #21  
Boundaries are good ... The virus made a lot of people consider moving out of the cities to the rural areas. Working from home is a new thing. Computers and internet enable it. We may be seeing the next great population migration. This time, out of the cities. Unfortunately, these are city bred people to whom open land is free. They are ignorant of the realities. Letting their animals and children run wild. They will have to be educated by us, the existing rural dwellers.

I've posted before about fishing in my pond. Anybody I do give permission to, I always stress it's a personal permission. They may BRING friends but there are no friends of friends. It's been very helpful when friends of friend show up. (they always do) I tell them to come back with the original permittee. (they seldom do):2cents:

/ Property use by professional photographer #22  
This has nothing to do with insurance or laws. Your in-laws are either taking advantage of you, or you were not clear and explicit when you stated the terms of your generosity. Either way you now have to make clear what the rules are and it will probably be unpleasant.

/ Property use by professional photographer #23  
I always hated when city people, particularly teens and young adults come to the country for the peace and quiet, and then proceed to scream, hoot and hollar at the top of their lungs into the night! Or crank the tunes. At night, you can hear a table radio a mile away, like it's under your window!

As for the issue at hand. I said it a few times on here. There are no Victims, only volunteers.

/ Property use by professional photographer #25  
I might add your situation is not unique. This seems to pop up here on a regular basis. Sometimes like yours, the use of land, sometimes the use of a tractor or tools.

/ Property use by professional photographer #26  
I have 80 acres. My nearest neighbor - five miles by road. That is one of the major reason I built here and continue to live here. All the land around me - in all directions - range land & cattle. It's been this way for over 100 years and is unlikely to change. Besides - I get along with the neighbors cattle very well.

/ Property use by professional photographer #27  
Remember the people who come on your land and get hurt might not sue you but their insurance companies surely will.

Quickly get an additional large liability umbrella policy on your land, minimum $2million.

/ Property use by professional photographer #28  
I can empathize.
In 1939 my Grandfather bought land, then had his dream house built. He, grandmother, a son who had Downs Syndrome and my mother. In 1948 Dad married Mom, Grandad gives my parents 1/2 acre lot in middle, he and Dad built second house where brother and I grew up.
It seemed like utopia in some ways, terrible in others. There was reciprocity since Mom never left her parents! Then us four were free laborers of the place, had to care for my uncle, etc.
So...pros and cons.
Then Grandad gives 2 acres to a friend to build their house on (they're deceased so that's a mess).
My point is things that seem like a good idea, especially with property, friends, family can be a real problem down the road.
At one point Dad had it with Grandad, said he could have house, we're moving...but they worked things out.
Most people (99%), give an inch they take a mile. They wrongly take possession, make decisions and control what's not theirs.
It's a tough situation because it has to be crystal clear that it's your place therefore only you can give permission or make decisions about your property. At the same time since they're right there you must have good relations.
As mentioned call your insurance agent about it. Any dealings with the photographer has to be with you, not in-laws.
It sounds suspicious to me also. How will they be using pictures, are they casing the place out, etc.
I wouldn't want it.
Good luck.

/ Property use by professional photographer #29  
I just posted this about liability, over on the other forum where you asked this question;

Our insurance agent once told us that the creek going through our property is a liability and is classified as an "attractive nuisance". Told him I once knew a girl like that:)

Insurance agents/companies aren't lawyers. They are all about taking your money while eliminating any risk of ever needing to pay it out.
Like many states, Georgia has statutes in place to reduce your liablilty if you allow public, non-fee use of your land.
Here's a link to your statutes; Georgia Recreational Use Statute

Here's the most pertinent excerpt from that;
§51-3-22. Duty of owner of land to those using same for recreation generally
Except as specifically recognized by or provided in Code Section 51-3-25, an owner of land owes no duty of care to keep the premises safe for entry or use by others for recreational purposes or to give any warning of a dangerous condition, use, structure, or activity on the premises to persons entering for recreational purposes.
HISTORY: Ga. L. 1965, p. 476, s 3.
O.C.G.A. § 51-3-23 (1994)
§51-3-23. Effect of invitation or permission to use land for recreation
Except as specifically recognized by or provided in Code Section 51-3-25, an owner of land who either directly or indirectly invites or permits without charge any person to use the property for recreational purposes does not thereby:
(1) Extend any assurance that the premises are safe for any purpose;
(2) Confer upon such person the legal status of an invitee or licensee to whom a duty of care is owed; or
(3) Assume responsibility for or incur liability for any injury to person or property caused by an act of omission of such persons.
HISTORY: Ga. L. 1965, p. 476, s 4.

Some states like mine take that a bit further. This is Maine law;
6. Costs and fees. The court shall award any direct legal costs, including reasonable attorneys' fees, to an owner, lessee, manager, holder of an easement or occupant who is found not to be liable for injury to a person or property pursuant to this section.

This really reduces the ambulance chasers. Since the law was passed in 1979, there has never been a successful case tried in court.

However, it is your land. Sometimes people need to be reminded that they are guests, not owners.

/ Property use by professional photographer #30  
I owned the waterfront lot next door and clearly posted it.
Fishermen constantly ignored the postings until they had to change flat tires 3 visits in a row.
I guess the missing valves gave them a hint.

(Note, always only one tire and no slashing so I was a nice guy.)