Propery line and fence

/ Propery line and fence #51  
In some states, such as Texas, seems to me the needs for the fence laws are different than the small farm states, where open range land and the like isn't part of the equation.

Trying to come up with something fair to both sides, is likely what results in sharing the cost of the line fence (as these laws seem only to apply to line fences).

One can see where (without the sharing cost laws) one farmer might wait until the other neighbor had put in the line fences, before he would get cattle to 'use' that neighbors fence. Not really fair.
If the fence is just to confine the livestock to an area smaller than the borders of the property (thinking Texas property here /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), then the confinement fence is likely not along the property line.

I would agree with CowboyDoc, that good fences make good neighbors.

Now on another subject, isn't it interesting how some cities (thinking Dallas as that is where my daughter lived for awhile), people put up high fences between their small home lots. In others (thinking midwest), people live next to each other without the high fences between their small home lots. Seems it varies by communities. It is a phenomena I don't understand, and sometimes wonder about why.

/ Propery line and fence #52  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Now on another subject, isn't it interesting how some cities (thinking Dallas as that is where my daughter lived for awhile), people put up high fences between their small home lots. )</font>

And last year, we briefly considered buying a house in a Dallas suburb until we learned the rules of the "homeowners association" that would exist after the developer/builder was done. The builder was building wooden "privacy" fences around all the backyards so the fence around your backyard would be jointly owned by you and three neighbors (one on each side and one behind) and would have to be maintained in original condition, etc. etc. etc.

/ Propery line and fence #53  
<font color="blue">What if you sell that property and the next owner does decide to have livestock. Will you then go back and pay for half of that fence? </font>

Definitely not. That would be the responsibility of the next owner.

My philosophy is very simple. If I have cows, horses, dogs, cats or bad children /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I don't expect anybody else to help me keep them contained. They are mine and I will be responsible for them. If they are yours, you are responsible.

I agree with the "Good fences make good neighbors" in a lot of cases. I am very lucky - most of my property is unfenced and my neighbors are great. One guy bought 80 acres joining me a few years ago and came to me saying he thought the land line was off about 10 feet (on my side). After looking at it I told him he could be right and we moved the markers over to give him the extra 10 feet. No lawyers, no surveyors and no hard feelings. We are best friends today and I haven't missed that little sliver of earth a bit.

I try hard to be a good neighbor and am surrounded by folks that do the same. But I won't pay for their fence and I sure wouldn't expect them to pay for mine.

TBone

/ Propery line and fence #54  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Good fences make good neighbors. )</font>
Yep... and some neighbors require higher fences /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Propery line and fence #55  
HE'S A 300 LB MORON THAT WAS ONE OF THE ONES THAT SUGGESTED I BUILD MY BARN ON TOP OF MY SEPTIC!!!!!
We even had a variance hearing!!!! and they know that i live on a cliff!!!!the back yard is impossible to reach without 4x4 and the edge of the cliff at the back of my house is jist 60' from the road!!!...needless to say..i'm not the one who purchased the place ..leave it to a woman to buy a rock!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif needless to say i would't trust him half as far as i could throw him....half of zero is still 00000 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
not too good at searhces but am still learnin /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Propery line and fence #56  
thered b plenty of beef in my freezer then!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
posession is 9/10ths of the law!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Propery line and fence #57  
"Give me land lotsa land under stary skys above, don't fence me in...."

Have friend that had a young couple move in next door (city) years ago. The brick masons began work and built a nice brick wall on the couples property line. When finished the young man's dad called my friend and started talking about the improvement and suggested that since my friend would benefit from the wall he should pay half the cost. Bless my fast thinking buddy, he told "ole Dad" to have a deed drawn giving him title to half the wall and he would pay.
That was the end of that.

On another example, we just visited a couple that purchased 30 A and the fence is 6 feet "inside" his line. Now he can BH, roundup or what ever to keep things clean and neat. If the fence is "ON" the line then your neighbor may not want to cut anything on his side. This is something I had been thinking about should I ever decide to fence my 20A.

/ Propery line and fence #58  
The sad story of the fence is almost over -
Synopsis-
<ul type="square">
Old farmer has new neighbor move in
Neighbor researches bylaws
Neighbor fences land and hands portion of bill to adjacent landowners
Bull gets between neighbors
Harsh words, harsh feelings
Death
[/list]

Almost at end

-regards.
-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Propery line and fence #59  
.... not quite over....

comes back at them for 5 million.

Be aware of your property rights.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

counter suit

/ Propery line and fence #60  
Be cautious having the fence inside your property line and not on it, in some areas leaving that fence inside your property line can result in that being the new property line ( if left that way for a period of time, several years I think ), so the people mentioned could be giving away 6 feet of their property.

When it comes to fences, I put them on the property line. I personally don't care if the folks on the other side don't mow their side as our fences are to keep the cattle and horses in. The in-laws, on the other hand, and my father, are really bothered that I don't bother to trim along all the fences...I just shrug my shoulders at them and say if it bothers you so much, go right ahead, there is the trimmer. We have to many fencelines to be bothering with that with all the other stuff we need to be doing.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif