Proposal for 422 vs 425 shootout

/ Proposal for 422 vs 425 shootout #21  
Kent,
Nice write-up! Good blend of technical and layman terms.

One thing I found interesting with regard to the oil change recommendations in my 180 manual (I can't remember if it was for both the Robins engine and the hydraulic or just the Robins) was that the schedule has you changing fluid frequently without changing the filter that often at all.

I used to belong to a 4x4 forum where a guy who worked in the oil industry stated something like... in a normal car engine application, a good grade oil does not break down or lose effectiveness very easily and the main benefit of an oil change was for "cleaning" purposes. He said to accomplish this with all his cars and 4x4 vehicles he made sure to change filters frequently (every 2500 miles or so I think) and just topped of his lost oil at that point. Supposedly after 100K+ miles of no oil changes his engines were very clean with little wear.

This seems to be the opposite approach of the gas Robins. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Proposal for 422 vs 425 shootout #22  
<font color="blue"> (This seems to be the opposite approach of the gas Robins.) </font>

I'll go with Robins and Kohler, which is similar, BTW -- oil 100 hrs, filter 200 hrs, with shorter intervals for dusty conditions.

According to just about everything I've read, oil additives are used up, so him saying he could go all those miles without changing oil seems just plain foolish. Oil filters gradually become clogged. The idea is to change them before that happens. I think the manufacturers have a pretty good idea of how long it takes to clog one. Naturally, they recommend a really conservative interval. I'll bet we could easily double the number of hours on a filter without real risk.

Not that I'm going to do it. It's cheap, but messy insurance.

/ Proposal for 422 vs 425 shootout #23  
I'm sticking to the recommendations myself, just thought it was an interesting difference in opinion but not one I would ever follow. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Proposal for 422 vs 425 shootout #24  
Rich said my PT has run Mobil 1 in the Kohler engine since the first oil change, and that he changed both oil and filter at 50 hour intervals -- at the same time that he changed the PT hydraulic filter. I plan to continue that interval, regardless of what the manuals say.

BTW, I took advantage of the "turmoil" in Mobil's strategy for Mobil 1 (where they're changing all their products), and bought two 5-qt jug of the old Mobil 1 formula at Walmart for less than $20 a jug (versus $25 a jug for the new forumula) . That puts the cost of oil at under $8 an oil change, plus another $6 or so for a Wix filter...

Overkill, maybe, but cheap insurance...

/ Proposal for 422 vs 425 shootout #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Oh ha ha very funny. how do you spell sarcasm? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

<font color="red"> With three "
Evillol.gif
Evillol.gif
Evillol.gif
"!!!!

Evillol.gif
</font>

/ Proposal for 422 vs 425 shootout #26  
This kind of humor is neither wanted nor encouraged. What are you trying to say with red print and devils. It has nothing to do with the PT forum.

/ Proposal for 422 vs 425 shootout #27  
<font color="blue"> What are you trying to say with red print and devils. </font>

Not too put words or change the intent of anothers post, but my take on this post was humor, as in the devil made me do it.

I was wondering what 14s post was cause i only saw two double quotes and bunch of exclamation marks.

That's my take on the post any. Sorry for being so wishy washy

BTW I can see some .jpg and gif images but i mess with things on this puter firewall and all that i maynot see images that are not on the server where the post is. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif