Pros and Cons of owning large acreage.

/ Pros and Cons of owning large acreage. #31  
You need to check for deed restrictions and encumbrances. You might also want to check for EPA problems. I have a friend who has fifteen acres that, unbeknownst to her, was being used as a dump by a suction truck owner. Nasty suprize, that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Is there a petroleum pipeline down the middle of it you haven't noticed? I bought a piece of property that had a 26' setback and a 6' utility easement across the back that was not disclosed until closing. I still bought the property, it has three rent trailers on it that have paid for the property in less than three years and it puts a nice chunk of change in my pocket every month. I now check for problems like that beforehand. Is it on a flood plain? A 60 acre for 6 swap sounds like it's too good to be true.

/ Pros and Cons of owning large acreage. #32  
My wife and I currently own 600 acres of forested hilly wilderness country. Not so good for producing anything -our planned horticultural initiative will be indoors in a specially constructed shed, but its just great to look out across the hills and know you are master of all you survey. We're currently progressing purchase of an additional 92,000 acres which adjoins our existing block. Like somebody once said land is usually a good investment- they aren't making any more!

I really don't think you can go wrong with land, unless you're buying in a regulated area where there are zoning and compliance issues which may affect (and create costs) for you as landholder. By-in-large, even if you don't do anything to maintain it, land it doesn't devalue much in the long term.

Go for the sixty acres, if you have the opportunity!

/ Pros and Cons of owning large acreage. #33  
My wife and I currently own 600 acres of forested hilly wilderness country. Not so good for producing anything -our planned horticultural initiative will be indoors in a specially constructed shed, but its just great to look out across the hills and know you are master of all you survey. We're currently progressing purchase of an additional 92,000 acres which adjoins our existing block. Like somebody once said land is usually a good investment- they aren't making any more!

I really don't think you can go wrong with land, unless you're buying in a regulated area where there are zoning and compliance issues which may affect (and create costs) for you as landholder. By-in-large, even if you don't do anything to maintain it, land it doesn't devalue much in the long term.

Go for the sixty acres, if you have the opportunity!

You replied to a 13 year old thread... I hope he got his land. :D

/ Pros and Cons of owning large acreage. #34  
Better late than never. :D

/ Pros and Cons of owning large acreage. #35  
What is the price tag on 92,000 acres of wilderness?

/ Pros and Cons of owning large acreage. #38  
Well 13 years ago it was a lot cheaper :)

/ Pros and Cons of owning large acreage. #40  
I read the thread before I realized it was over 13 years old!! And, we never did learn the answer! Did, or did he not get the 60 acres, that is the question. I like closure on a topic.