pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #31  
I use 2WD when mowing and usually have to go 4WD with loader work and digging. Sometimes the diff lock is enough to get moving again but after doing that a few times I then go ahead and switch to 4WD. I don't even think about fuel consumption - unless I am running out

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD
Slamfire said:
Since adding the additional rear wheels the only time I've needed 4 wheel assist is when operating with heavy ground engagment attachments, like my pond scoop. Normally stepping on the differential lock is enough.

So you have quads on the rear of your tractor???
Bob

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #33  
Like it or not, getting stuck and excessive slippage are just not in my agenda anymore. That's why I keep the tractor in 4wd all the time. My property is hilly and rough terrain and I never go on pavement. I also engage the differential lock when straight line pulling before I need it for the same reason. Makes life so much easier when working. Occasionally I do forget to disengage the diff lock when using the turning brakes??:eek:

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #34  
Doc_Bob said:
So you have quads on the rear of your tractor???
Bob

Yes I manage to tip it over once. Gettin' off was near impossible, and the steerin' wheel got bent on my right leg. I'm of the opinion that the exhaust stack kept it from rolling over on me. I was backing up, not paying attention to the front end, and the downhill front wheel dropped into a hole. Doubling the rear wheels was the easiest solution. That little atvar picture will give you an idea of how it looks.

Slamfire said:
Yes I manage to tip it over once. Gettin' off was near impossible, and the steerin' wheel got bent on my right leg. I'm of the opinion that the exhaust stack kept it from rolling over on me. I was backing up, not paying attention to the front end, and the downhill front wheel dropped into a hole. Doubling the rear wheels was the easiest solution. That little atvar picture will give you an idea of how it looks.

Wow, Quads look like they make the tractor near impossible to tip. When you have time, post a bigger pic.
Bob

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #36  
This is the biggest I have. But I have a bigger camera, give me a couple of days.

Attachments

• Skidder.jpg
    Skidder.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 260
   / pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #37  
My yard is quite uneven and hilly so I use 4WD almost all the time when mowing. Also, when pulling a trailer on my hilly property the 4WD greatly enhances the braking and overall traction. Every once in a while I'll forget to go back into 2WD when I go on the hard road, but rarely. It doesn't seem to tear up the yard anymore with the indy tires in 4 or 2 wheel drive. I feel the extra tractability more than offsets any premature wear concerns I might have. I just feel much more stable in 4Wd.

John

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #38  
I rarely use 4wd. I use it only when necessary. Mowing in 4wd makes the turning radius longer/wider and causes more damage to the turf when turning.

4wd comes in handy when doing FEL work.

Volfandt

/ pros and cons to running a 4WD tractor in 2WD #39  
Doc,

I think you also have to consider the tractor itself, along with your terrain. I have a 1320 with turfs... I leave it in 4WD all the time, even mowing, unless on asphalt. I took an unplanned ride down a wet grassy hill just like another poster because I switched it out and forgot to put it back in 4WD. Not gonna make that mistake again. It's worked well so far with minimal tire wear.

I too have a TN and I rarely use 4WD, it's just not needed for most uses. Either way your not going to damage the tractor, that's why you have the lever.... to choose what works best for your situation.

Trail_Time said:
Doc,

I too have a TN and I rarely use 4WD, it's just not needed for most uses. Either way your not going to damage the tractor, that's why you have the lever.... to choose what works best for your situation.

Another TN70 owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Boy, do I have a lot of questions for you.
Bob