Pros and cons / Tracks versus tires on garden tractor with front mount snow blower

/ Pros and cons / Tracks versus tires on garden tractor with front mount snow blower #1  

NormL

Platinum Member
Tractor
Craftsman GT18, Ford 601 / FEL, Oliver 550 / FEL
Our frequent and heavy snow falls have revealed a fairly serious flaw in the design of my snow clearing equipment. It's a Toro Workhorse 416h with a front mounted two stage blower. The problem I'm having is how quickly I get stuck with it. It has turf tires with chains and weights and over 250 lbs of me for traction. It's shocking how quickly the wheels dig in when I'm not careful. To add to the problem is the lack of clearance under both the front and rear of this machine. The blower attachment has its frame going under the tractor halfway to the back leaving little clearance between that and the ground. The rear of the tractor is similarly close to the ground with its hitch assembly. It gets "hung up" almost the instant the wheels begin to spin and it's time to find something I can use to pull it out. Part of the problem started with the height adjustment of the blower. It always left some snow on the ground which was quickly packed down firmly enough to resist clearing later when I discovered what was happening. That was okay for the first couple of clearing events to reduce the stones and gravel pickup early on. But by the time I realized the snow buildup was still happening, there was already a problem with getting stuck. Also, any bump or rise would amplify when the front wheels rolled over it, raising the blower for a short distance.

For this winter I know I'll have to live with this but I'm looking for ways to prevent a recurrence. First I need to find a way for the blower to follow the ups and downs of the driveway and parking areas. Also, I'm interested in the possible improvement in the rear wheel traction. Tracks come to mind but I understand steering control will suffer without individual wheel brakes. Any other innovations to consider? I have more time than money so I'm looking for something I can modify or fabricate in my shop.

Last edited:
   / Pros and cons / Tracks versus tires on garden tractor with front mount snow blower
Thanks for looking, folks. I did some more searching via Google and found some videos made by guys with similar tractors and similar issues. The outcomes look like they could solve my getting stuck problem for not too much cash outlay. One of them even adapted a set of smowmobile skis for steering; very innovative! For now I will concentrate on collecting needed materials. Actually, my next project has to be fabricating a new mower deck for my zero-turn. I, and others using it, have not taken good enough care to clean/wash out the grass clippings that collect in hidden places. As a result the deck has rusted out badly enough that patching is pointless. I plan to build better than original paying special attention to eliminating rust outs. Wash points in strategic locations should go a long way. I'll start a thread probably calling it "New Deck under an Old Zee Turner"! :giggle:

/ Pros and cons / Tracks versus tires on garden tractor with front mount snow blower
I put ATV tires on my Cub Cadet garden tractor and it totally transformed it to a much more capable machine when I needed traction.
a pattern like this: https://www.atvtires.com/product/otr-350-mag-off-road-tires/
It looks like the tread is more open than regular turfs, am I right? I've thought of removing the chains but because the tread pattern is so tight it would just spin the moment I got the "nose" of the machine into a snowdrift. It would take significantly more weight at the back to make up for the lost traction. Perhaps something less aggressive than chains? If so, what might that be?

/ Pros and cons / Tracks versus tires on garden tractor with front mount snow blower #5  
deeper and more open, yes. it was about a 1k lb machine with me on it.

/ Pros and cons / Tracks versus tires on garden tractor with front mount snow blower #6  
If you could put gauge wheels on your blower so that it could "float" independently of the tractor, that might help.

If you could put gauge wheels on your blower so that it could "float" independently of the tractor, that might help.
If I can "teach" it to float that's probably what I'll do. I think first I'll have to see how I can increase the lowered and raised range. Right now the range is very narrow. Once I fix that I'll have to modify it so it floats. THEN I can add the gauge wheels. Loads of interesting stuff to keep me from getting bored!! 😏 😏