PT 1445 SQQA mod - brush cutter ?

/ PT 1445 SQQA mod - brush cutter ? #1  

2manyrocks

I'm still considering buying a PT 1445 primarily for use as a hillside brush mower and secondly for use with a brush grapple.

There have been a couple of threads where posters have cautioned to check the blade bolts. I think there was another thread where someone bored the holes larger to handle larger bolts and perhaps even mounted heavier brush cutter style cutting blades.

When I look at PT's photos of their brush cutters, I don't like having pneumatic tires mounted to the front of their cutters. I'd also like to see a cover mounted over the hydraulic motor and hoses.

They publish 15 gpm at 3000 output. I'm wondering if I could and should adapt a CTL standard flow style cutter instead of buying the PT brush cutting deck? PT doesn't publish the weight of their cutter. Are those front wheels absolutely necessary on the PT or would a normal CTL cutter be too heavy and out of balance?

Which also leads to my other question of changing the PT lift to a SQQA style. Could be done with welding a SQQA mount to their T-18 plate I suppose would be the easiest option?

/ PT 1445 SQQA mod - brush cutter ? #2  
I can't speak to the 1445, but I can regarding the 425 and 4' brush cutter.

You definitely need wheel out front. All of the weight of the cutter is suspended on its 4 wheels. Normal operations you leave the FEL arms in the float position, so the cutter rides independent of the machine. It's free to undulate up and down irregardless of the machine's position. It's also free to oscillate left and right independent of the machine. And it's free to tip fore and aft independent of the machine.

The 425 does not have draft control, so IF I need some additional traction going up a slippery slope, I can pull the joystick out of float and lift the deck off the ground. Just enough to get the deck wheels off the ground. Like just 1/2" or so, is all it takes to transfer all of the weight of the cutter deck to the front tires of the machine, and that acts as a weight out on the end of the arms and also pulls some weight off of the rear tires of the machine. It effectively increases the traction on the front tires and up the slope I go.

The 1445 has draft control, so you would NOT use float mode when that is turned on. It will do the task for you. As it senses load on the arms, it lifts or lowers the arms accordingly, as I understand it.

As for the cutter blade bolts, I don't know how the cutter for the 1445 is designed.

IF it's like the 48" cutter, the bolts hang down and are the lowest point on the cutter. They are susceptible to rock damage and can shear off. Over the years, I've developed my own way of quickly changing them out of broken. Also, it's a good idea to have a bunch of them around and change them out before they break. The design of my deck could use some improvement, like a shorter drum and gull-wing blades to keep the blades from whacking the bolts.

With that said, the darn thing just destroys everything it comes in contact with. A very effective tool indeed. (y)

/ PT 1445 SQQA mod - brush cutter ? #3  
I made adapter plates for my 1430 & 1460 to SSQA and highly recommend it. I use a forestry mulcher on my 1460 and recently ordered a RUT rotary to compare the two (have to wait for it to be made)(link follows).

I have the PT brand rotary brush cutter for the 1430 and use it for a grassy field. With the wheels it works like a finish mower. Others here have used them for brush and like it. I also have the Titan fail mower (chinese, but decent quality) with the heavy cast scoop cutters. A quick reverse on a down hill will lift the rear wheels a bit.

I ordered the commercial mowers because they are much more robust (and in my areas with brush, there are a lot of rocks, so the wheels do me no good). If you compare big trucks like Pete, KW, Freightliner, Autocar, they make the truck, you buy the engine from Cummins, Cat etc. I look at it the same way for the mowers (and other attachments too). These companies specialize in making attachments only, its their thing.

If you stay within about 50% of the machines lift capacity you shouldn't have a problem (which I find occur mostly when going down hill).

My forestry mulcher is about 75-80% of the lift capacity of the 1460 and it handles it OK. I am exploring the RUT rotary cutter vs the mulcher because the mulcher takes a lot of concentration when cutting a tree down vs my experience with rotary cutters requiring less thought. Also a lot of fine dust like material with the mulcher.

I am not pushing RUT (haven't even recv'd mine yet) but when you order, they manufacture it with your machine's pressure and flow in mind, it is not an off the shelf cutter.

/ PT 1445 SQQA mod - brush cutter ? #4  
I have the PT1445 brush cutter.

I always check the bolts and grease the bushings every six hours or so after I lost a bolt or two. Personally, I haven't sheared a bolt (yet), though after other folks experiences, I do stock the bolts and bushings. The bushings tended to wear out in my usage as I cut when the soil is dry, and I think that the grit gets in the bushing and causes wear, which is why I check and grease the bushings/bolts frequently. The checks and grease have basically stopped the wear for me.

Do I wish the blades were bent in more of an offset "Z" so the bolts aren't the lowest point? Sure, but I recognize that would make the blades more expensive and the mower heavier as the perimeter would have to be deeper. I repair my blades myself now with a welder, adding material back in around the bushing and to the blade edges. I also weigh the blades after sharpening to make sure they are close in weight.

The mower is very effective, and in my use will take out 3-4" saplings, and a few back and forth passes tends to chop up the remaining pieces. I don't mow near buildings with it due to flying rocks and branches. I do wear a logging helmet with face shield when mowing, just in case.

The float feature that @MossRoad mentions is very effective at getting the mower weight on to the tractor for adding traction, and responds very quickly to changes in grade. I use it almost all the time while mowing.

I did look into Brush-hog and other brands and types mowers years ago, and due to overall weight and much higher flow/HP requirements, I decided to buy the PT version that I am very happy with.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT 1445 SQQA mod - brush cutter ? #5  
I have had a couple blades come off when the bolt head broke. The didn't go too far. I was more mad that I lost the bushing. I ended up buying a length of DOM tubing the correct ID and OD and made my own bushings. I think I made 12-14 of them over 10 years ago. I still have 3-4 left, last I looked.

The most dangerous thing about these brush cutters is their ability to toss things 100' or better, like rocks, sticks, baseballs, golf balls, turkey carcasses. I hit a large ratchet from a strap in the tall grass near the highway. That blew the left rear solid plastic wheel apart. I finished the day by just tilting the joystick to the full dump position and leaving it in float.

It is without a doubt the most dangerous piece of equipment I own. Chainsaws come in 2nd place. Beer cooler 3rd.

/ PT 1445 SQQA mod - brush cutter ? #6  
I have the PT1445 brush cutter.

I always check the bolts and grease the bushings every six hours or so after I lost a bolt or two. Personally, I haven't sheared a bolt (yet), though after other folks experiences, I do stock the bolts and bushings. The bushings tended to wear out in my usage as I cut when the soil is dry, and I think that the grit gets in the bushing and causes wear, which is why I check and grease the bushings/bolts frequently. The checks and grease have basically stopped the wear for me.

Do I wish the blades were bent in more of an offset "Z" so the bolts aren't the lowest point? Sure, but I recognize that would make the blades more expensive and the mower heavier as the perimeter would have to be deeper. I repair my blades myself now with a welder, adding material back in around the bushing and to the blade edges. I also weigh the blades after sharpening to make sure they are close in weight.

The mower is very effective, and in my use will take out 3-4" saplings, and a few back and forth passes tends to chop up the remaining pieces. I don't mow near buildings with it due to flying rocks and branches. I do wear a logging helmet with face shield when mowing, just in case.

The float feature that @MossRoad mentions is very effective at getting the mower weight on to the tractor for adding traction, and responds very quickly to changes in grade. I use it almost all the time while mowing.

I did look into Brush-hog and other brands and types mowers years ago, and due to overall weight and much higher flow/HP requirements, I decided to buy the PT version that I am very happy with.

All the best,

Peter
Didn't you get some special impregnated bolts for that? Or was that someone else?

/ PT 1445 SQQA mod - brush cutter ? #7  
@MossRoad Good memory!

Yes, I bought oil impregnated bushings from McMaster-Carr. That just seemed sensible to me, and they have worked really well. They now sell "high load" "PTFE oil impregnated" bushings that might be a better choice than the plain oil ones I bought way back when, or even get the "high load" (low rpm) versions.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT 1445 SQQA mod - brush cutter ? #8  
@MossRoad Good memory!

Yes, I bought oil impregnated bushings from McMaster-Carr. That just seemed sensible to me, and they have worked really well. They now sell "high load" "PTFE oil impregnated" bushings that might be a better choice than the plain oil ones I bought way back when, or even get the "high load" (low rpm) versions.

All the best,

Peter
Ask me what I had for dinner last night? :unsure:

Ask me about oil impregnated bushings someone else mentioned years ago? No problem. :ROFLMAO:

/ PT 1445 SQQA mod - brush cutter ? #9  
Minds work in mysterious ways...;)

(But that's seriously good recall in my book!) I bought the bronze sleeve bearings in 2010...

All the best, Peter

/ PT 1445 SQQA mod - brush cutter ? #10  
You were wearing blue jeans and a plaid shirt. Your brown tennis shoes. And your Purdue hoodie, the one with the ketchup stain.

(that's what my wife would tell me if I asked if she remembered when I bought something 10 years ago)