PT 425 10 inch front cylinder pouring out oil

/ PT 425 10 inch front cylinder pouring out oil #1  

dbetts

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT 425(2003), Simplicirty Legacy XL
The other day I was working with my 425 with the mini hoe attached when all of a sudden oil sprayed everywhere. It is coming from the top of the right side lifting cylinder on the lift arm assembly. Has anyone had this happen on theirs and was there a good fix other than calling Tazwell and having a new cylinder sent for replacement?

/ PT 425 10 inch front cylinder pouring out oil #2  
Sounds like it blew a seal. Unless you have a local hydraulic shop that can figure out the brand, size, etc... and if you are in a hurry to get back up and running agian, your best bet is having a new one sent from Tazewell, and then maybe having the old one rebuilt as a spare.

/ PT 425 10 inch front cylinder pouring out oil #3  
Had the same problem, and ordered three seal kits. Rebuilt one leaking and saved the others for when they started to leak.

Just order a cyl seal kit and do it yourself.

If you are desperate, just have PT overnight the kit to your doorstep.

/ PT 425 10 inch front cylinder pouring out oil #4  
FYI, I am 99% sure that the cylinders are custom made. That said, I bet you can find the parts at a good local hydralic shop, can't imagine PT making their own seals but who knows.

/ PT 425 10 inch front cylinder pouring out oil
Thanks for the help. It sounds like I need to call the parts dept today. Are there any special tools needed to rebuild the cylinder?

/ PT 425 10 inch front cylinder pouring out oil #6  
I would remove hoses and fittings before taking the cyl apart.

I did my cyl with the base end still connected.

You can remove the complete cyl if you want.

Use Loctite® 5452 on the piston rod nut.

/ PT 425 10 inch front cylinder pouring out oil #7  
"From the top right side of the cylinder"?

You mean where the hydraulic hose is threaded in?

/ PT 425 10 inch front cylinder pouring out oil #8  
"from the top of the right side lifting cylinder"

I think that means from the top of the lifting cylinder. The right side probably means the one on the operator's right side. Or, not. :confused3:

/ PT 425 10 inch front cylinder pouring out oil
"from the top of the right side lifting cylinder"

MossRoad is correct.
I called parts dept in Tazwell yesterday and ordered three seat kits so as to have a couple on hand in case this happens again soon with the other cylinders. Also it was recommended that I get the aluminum ram piece as well so I ordered one as well for $20. Interestingly the seal kits are the same for all cylinders on the tractor except for the small one at the quick hitch. The steering cylinders just have a shorter throw than the lift cylinders. I have not checked yet to see if this holds true on the mini hoe attachment but would be a nice bonus if the kits would work for that as well.
I guess I will see when I get the new aluminum rod and compare to the one coming out whether it seems necessary to replace that each time I put in new seals.

/ PT 425 10 inch front cylinder pouring out oil #10  
What aluminum rod? Are you talking about the piston?

Who told you to replace the aluminum rod and why.

If there is no damage to the piston, just replace the o-rings and shaft seal, and Loctite the nut back on.

Most seals are directional.