PT-425 From Year 2003 (old thread)

/ PT-425 From Year 2003 (old thread) #2  
Yep. PJ's machine was the next iteration from my 2001 model year. His engine was moved to the rear, all of the pumps are in front of the engine, the muffler is PT fabricated and above the tram pump, the battery is above the main and aux PTO pumps, the hydraulic filter is easily accessed, and the fuel tank is in the hood.

I saw it in person when we visited them in Montana.

/ PT-425 From Year 2003 (old thread)
Hey Moss, did PJ have any problems with the gas tank being in the hood? From reading those old threads, it did not sound like they made PJ s style 425 very long? They went to the Robin Subaru because they had about 2 hp more.

/ PT-425 From Year 2003 (old thread) #4  
From what I remember, he said it could get a little heavy with a full tank of fuel.

As far as why they went with Subaru over Kohler, as I recall, there was discussion that PT may have been being forced to become a Kohler authorized service center, or dealer, or something like that, if they sold Kohler engines. However, that's all hearsay, and not based on any first-hand knowledge on my part.

/ PT-425 From Year 2003 (old thread) #5  
I question or observation on one of the comments from that post that I believe is incorrect. Isn't the hydraulic filter always under a vacuum and would need a vacuum gauge to judge filter life?
I recognize the filter holder, and connections as Parker components. Parker has a filter replacement gauge/indicator for that filter holder, it threads into the inlet side port (currently plugged on your's). The gauge is a 2.5" Ashcroft #20W1005PH01B and cost $9.10 through Grainger, Grainger part number 2C492. The gauge simply reads filtration pressure. The green or normal range is 0-12psi and then beyond that it becomes yellow and red up to 60psi.

/ PT-425 From Year 2003 (old thread) #6  
Yes. Placed on the "exit" side of the filter housing. It's reading vacuum.

/ PT-425 From Year 2003 (old thread) #7  
Technically both ports will read a vacuum, the inlet will read how much it takes to draw the oil up to the level of the filter housing from the tank, the outlet port will read that plus what it takes to draw through the filter media. This would be a good way to tell how fast your filter is getting restricted. Might be alarming in cold weather.