PT 425 - repower options (Kohler 25hp)

/ PT 425 - repower options (Kohler 25hp) #1  

Husker34

Tractor
Power Trac PT-425
Well I haven't confirmed yet but I think my engine took a dump (about 1400hrs). I am looking to replace the Kohler with the same one (CH25s with a shaft on both sides) which is now a CH730/740 or possibly upgrading to the 27HP as from what I understand can possibly bolt right in (but not certain). One problem with the 27hp is all I see with those are the air cleaners/canisters that come with them won't fit in the compartment.

I also saw in a couple posts here that if I'm willing, I may be able to haul it out to Tazewell and they can repower it and potentially are pretty reasonable in price? In taking out there then I could have them just put it thru the gamut and replace or fix anything that is best done without the engine sitting in there. Thought about calling them on Monday.

Wondering if anyone has any good recommendations on what the best bang for my buck might be. Looks like a new 25hp is upper $2500's and a 27hp is pushing $3k from what I have found.

/ PT 425 - repower options (Kohler 25hp) #2  
Definitely make the call to Tazewell and ask about options and recommendations.

Of course, same engine is easiest, least problematic, but if you can get new with more HP, fuel injection to aid in cold weather starting, etc. for not too much pain, it would be worth consideration.

/ PT 425 - repower options (Kohler 25hp) #3  
Doesn't hurt to price having them do it versus you putting in another engine plus it would be interesting to hear whether they think the increase in HP if the larger engine would bolt in actually translates to improved performance over the 25hp engine.

With the 30hp diesel no longer being available, I think PT is missing the boat not to at least offer a 25hp diesel option somewhere in their product line.

/ PT 425 - repower options (Kohler 25hp) #4  
Nice thing about all modern engines is the bolt pattern on the PTO side is universal so repowering won't be a big deal. Far as air cooled engines go, 1400 hours is usually on borrowed time today unless you are very maintenance oriented, then they will go longer but stuff like valve adjustments and clean air filtration reap time rewards. Personally, I prefer Kawasaki over Kohler but that is a personal choice with me.

/ PT 425 - repower options (Kohler 25hp) #5  
Just to be clear, he's got a PTO shaft on both sides of the engine.

The blower housing and covers, etc., will have to be modified IF there are bolt holes for the FRONT PTO SHAFT that will have to be added as well as the FRONT PUMP MOUNT (I can't recall how that's mounted).

/ PT 425 - repower options (Kohler 25hp) #6  
Several years ago, I replaced the Robin in my 425 w a Kubota 25hp.the weight, torque and fuel economy are fantastic. Added a couple of inches to the rear of the pt. Fuel tank went to the top of the engine cover. Can't stall the engine. My setup was all pumps on once side of the engine, so found a bellhousing, matched up to the pump and Kubota and gtg.

/ PT 425 - repower options (Kohler 25hp) #7  
Several years ago, I replaced the Robin in my 425 w a Kubota 25hp.the weight, torque and fuel economy are fantastic. Added a couple of inches to the rear of the pt. Fuel tank went to the top of the engine cover. Can't stall the engine. My setup was all pumps on once side of the engine, so found a bellhousing, matched up to the pump and Kubota and gtg.
I have a Excell mower with a 950 Kubota waiting for the day if the 18hp goes south in my PT018. That would be a major job, but as you indicated, it will be well worth the effort.

Agjones, please let me know if you ever want to sell yours.

/ PT 425 - repower options (Kohler 25hp) #8  
Lol heard, it'll be an estate sale.

/ PT 425 - repower options (Kohler 25hp) #9  
Did you ever post pictures of your Kubota conversion? Now I understand 425d.

/ PT 425 - repower options (Kohler 25hp) #10  
Did you ever post pictures of your Kubota conversion? Now I understand 425d.
I've posted them in the past. I'll try to get more while servicing it this month.