pt-425 will not move forward or reverse

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #21  
Monday is right around the corner, so waiting to call Terry to get the real skinny is certainly the safest course of action at this point.

Can't help but thinking that it is an air problem in your hydraulics. When the system is down, air (somehow) gets in. When you start up , the accumulated air causes the problems you are experiencing. With use, the system gets pressurized internally, and the accumulated air gets purged/bled to the tank, resulting in resolution of the problem. When you power down, more air finds it way in, and you again repeat the problem. If this is indeed the pattern, why does the bloody air only get in during down time?

Also, if air is getting in during down time, one might reasonably expect that hydraulic fluid would squirt out the same pathway in reverse when the machine is powered up and the hydraulics are re-pressurized. Have you seen any telltale oil drips/spots??

I'll be very interested to learn the solution to this vexing problem.

Good luck, and please keep us posted here.

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #22  
<font color="red"> Also, if air is getting in during down time, one might reasonably expect that hydraulic fluid would squirt out the same pathway in reverse when the machine is powered up and the hydraulics are re-pressurized. Have you seen any telltale oil drips/spots??
</font>

If air is getting in during shutdown I would presume the leak is above the level of the oil in the reservoir. This leak is on the suction side of the pump so it wouldn't leak oil when powered up. There might be a telltale moistening with oil around the leak though.

If yours is plumbed like mine the suction line runs from the reservoir to the hydraulic filter which is mounted quite high up, then back down to the pump. I'd check the connections at the filter first. Or maybe the spin-on filter gasket isn't sealing properly.

Good luck,
Sedgewood

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #23  
I think I may be able to answer your question as to why air gets in the system, at down time. When every thing heats up, parts expand, and perhaps every thing is sealed up. Things may work good for a while, and then you shut every thing down. Now, as parts cool down, a vacuum is generated and therefore sucks air in to the system, and the process is repeated. I would put thread sealer in all suspected parts. It is doubtfull that a new hyd filter would be clogged up so fast. Have you looked in the hyd tank to see if bubbles were present. If you see bubbles in the fluid, you are either sucking air, or the pump is cavitating, which means it is generating its own bubbles. You do not want to see bubbles.

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #24  
A 425 does not have a shuttle or draft control valve.
EB

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #25  
Check the charge pressure, sounds like the filter has collapsed or is loose and sucking air.
EB

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #26  
A 1430 pump could be changed in under 30 min. I'm and old man and could remove a tram pump, disassemble it and lap the valve plates, replace the seals, reinstall on the machine and test in less than 3 hours. These things are simple and easy to repair. If you dont understand the machine, find a good mechanic close by who does.
EB

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #27  
The high pressure kidneys are connected to the sides of the shuttle. If the ball doesn't seal, the kidneys are connected together thus bleeding tram pressure.
EB

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse
I called PT on Monday. Terry had me change the hydro filter
because he thought the filter might be plugged.
Changing the filter had no effect on it and I see no signs of a fix. I paid for this machine and then waited 2 1/2 months to receive it !!!! And I have a machine that doesn't work.
PT says run the machine and maybe it will fix itself. I'm not kidding !!!!!

yes buyer beware !!!!!

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #29  
<font color="red">The high pressure kidneys are connected to the sides of the shuttle. If the ball doesn't seal, the kidneys are connected together thus bleeding tram pressure. </font>

What are "high pressure kidneys"? Where are they located? What do they do?

/ pt-425 will not move forward or reverse #30  
ca956,

I looked at your Profile for TBN and found it basically blank. Where are you and your machine located? Perhaps there are other TBNers in your vicinity who might have the hydraulics dialed in and who could give you a hand?

I really regret that you are experiencing these problems, and with a new machine no less. I was hoping that PT would have a more satisfactory algorithm for diagnosing and fixing problems in units under warranty, especially considering that most of us can't simply load up and drive the beast to Tazewell.

Please keep us posted...