PT and cold climate

/ PT and cold climate #1  

azizfargo

Tractor
PT-425
How does PT withstand negative double digits temps of the north?

/ PT and cold climate #2  
Any hydraulically powered machine will feel the affects of cold weather. My 2001 model PT425 with the Kohler engine has started down to -20F. It required a shot of starting fluid and a battery booster. I've heard from owners with Robin engine powered PT400 series machines not having as much success as the Kohler powered machines.

One of the main issues I see with my PT425 and cold weather starting is that the engine is directly coupled to all 3 hydraulic pumps. There's no clutch between them. That means the starter needs to crank not only the engine, but all 3 pumps, and all that thick, cold, hydraulic fluid to get the machine started.

Several owners have installed permanent or temporary electric heaters on the hydraulic tanks and pumps. Some cover the machine with a blanket and heat it up for a couple hours before starting.

Hopefully some of them will chime in and give you their experiences.

If you can keep the machine in a garage, out of the wind, it makes it easier to pre-heat it as well.

/ PT and cold climate
Once I start the machine, that is kept in garage, will I need to keep the engine running (i see some snow contractors do that around here) while hauling the tractor for 15 minutes from one property to another?

/ PT and cold climate #4  
Once I start the machine, that is kept in garage, will I need to keep the engine running (i see some snow contractors do that around here) while hauling the tractor for 15 minutes from one property to another?

That might depend on which numbers are used in the negative double digits. As Moss said, the kohler starts better in lower temps than the robins, I've had both engines in my PT, but they are both gasoline engines and don't suffer from the same cold weather issues that diesel has. It doesn't get cold where i live so really don't have any experience with my PT in cold weather.

/ PT and cold climate #5  

As cquigy2 mentioned, it really depends how cold it gets where you're going to be operating. When it's very cold here, once I get it started, I let it run at about 1/3 throttle for about 10-15 minutes to get the hydraulics warmed and circulated. I shovel the steps and clean off the truck that's outside, etc... then I clear the snow. I've found that once I get it started and warmed up, if I shut it off, it'll usually start right back up within an hour or so with no assistance. I'd guess that 15 minutes is not going to let the hydraulics cool down enough to be a problem, but, again, it depends just how cold it is. ND gets way colder than northern IN on a regular basis. While we see below zero F for a few days each winter, and as cold as -22 every couple decades, the norm in the coldest of winter is about 10-15F. And that's only for a couple weeks at best.

/ PT and cold climate
-10 -15 is a regular occurrence here. Gets to -30 -40 2-3 times during the winter. I think I will have to test it out and see what works for me. If it needs to be left on while being transported, I am ok with that. I have a plow on the pickup truck. How does it not require a warm operation? (Like I said, I outsource the maintenance for mowers, snowblowers, etc).

/ PT and cold climate #7  
-10 -15 is a regular occurrence here. Gets to -30 -40 2-3 times during the winter. I think I will have to test it out and see what works for me. If it needs to be left on while being transported, I am ok with that. I have a plow on the pickup truck. How does it not require a warm operation? (Like I said, I outsource the maintenance for mowers, snowblowers, etc).

Not sure what you're asking there.

/ PT and cold climate
Not sure what you're asking there.

Meaning that the plow hydraulics stays cold during plow operation. Or I am clueless, and the truck somehow keeps hydraulic fluid warm.

/ PT and cold climate
So I called the plow dealer and they said it uses and aviation thin fluid, which operates normally in cold temps. Do you guys think a fluid like that can be used on PT?

/ PT and cold climate #10  
Thinning is not recommended for PT hydraulic fluid. Unlike your plow's hydraulics which start cold and stay cold, the hydraulic oil in the Power-Tracs warms up as it circulates, which means that thinned oil would get too thin to lubricate your pumps and wheel motors.

Having an oil heater for the hydraulic fluid will make a big difference to starting. If you still have trouble, you can always add a second heater on the engine oil pan, but the primary issue as MR mentioned is that the starter motor has to turn three pumps with very cold oil in the pumps, as well as the engine.

If your PT doesn't stay warm enough getting from site to site in blizzard conditions, then you could always plug in an oil heater when the PT is on the trailer, but personally, I would see how it goes. The oil tank will act as a heat reserve between jobs, and tossing a mover's blanket over the tank may be enough insulation to keep the PT warm enough to restart easily.

Are you planning on having the PT in a heated garage to start with, or will it be outside?

All the best, Peter