PT Steering Project

/ PT Steering Project #31  
Interesting project!

I seem to be turning and operating the FEL almost constantly. I tried out the spinner but kept catching my fingers on it and jamming them, I'm kind of a klutz, and didn't really seem to need it.

/ PT Steering Project #32  
Interesting project!

I seem to be turning and operating the FEL almost constantly. I tried out the spinner but kept catching my fingers on it and jamming them, I'm kind of a klutz, and didn't really seem to need it.

I wound plastic tape around the base of knob and the steering wheel to keep from loosening. This also solved the issue of catching fingers on it.

/ PT Steering Project #34  
Ok so at this I do not really need a power beyond valve. Right?

If you do not get a lever valve with a power beyond port built into it, you will have to find another way to feed power to the loader valve. That will require a TEE fitting (to split the flow to both the steering lever valve and the loader valve), two hoses to feed each valve from that tee, another tee to split the return line and two more hoses to route return fluid from the new lever valve and loader valve back to the tee,

If you get a steering lever valve with a built in power beyond port, you will need one hose to feed the loader valve.... that's it. It equates to two tees and four hoses with 10 fittings VS one hose and two fittings. Much much simpler and less expensive to get your new steering lever valve with a built in power beyond port, in my opinion.

Someone else chime in here if I'm missing something please.

/ PT Steering Project #35  
The only problem I have with the spinner knob is that the side opening for a button cuff can catch on it when steering normally. So I have to be a little careful when wearing long sleeves which is most of the time when doing tractor work. It is not an issue in cold weather when wearing a coat.

Ken

/ PT Steering Project #36  
I have not steered "normally" since I installed my spinner knob. Maybe once or twice just to remember what it feels like, but really, never during normal operations.

/ PT Steering Project #37  
Just for fun, here's what the inside of the steering valve on a JD340 looks like, which, as far as I can tell, is the exact same valve.
430_WW_76.gif

Pretty complicated valve with 5 sets of seals. No wonder it costs a thousand bucks.

/ PT Steering Project
I am in complete agreement that a power beyond valve is needed or at least be best. But just for the “fun of it” what would happen or not happen if say I just put a cheap log splitter valve on it with no power beyond, no detent, just a straight 3 position 4 way valve. Pressure would flow straight through TO the lift, tilt, quick attach valve when the cheap simple valve is in the neutral position you know (open center). Now it could mess with relief settings is one thing. By answering this it will help us understand power beyond. Curious to know why it would not at least half way try to function. Or what might tear up?
Is power beyond a check valve? Is it a regulator? It would be good to know what is going on when this valve works. Maybe as I research I will be able to answer my own question. But right now I do not have a complete understanding.
I will go ahead and ad this but do not concentrate on this and forget about the above concern.
Take a rope and tie it around you waist. Now take your left arm and stick it down through the rope.
Now leave it there and go out and design a steering system for that condition.

/ PT Steering Project #39  
On a valve there is high pressure in and low pressure out back to the tank. You can't feed another valve from that low pressure port.

/ PT Steering Project #40  
We have come to the point where further education is needed. :laughing:

I have referred to this in the past, and have re-read parts of it over the years. It is the U.S. Army Field Manual FM 5-499 for hydraulics. It is great reading for all Power Trac owners and will really help anyone that has any questions about hydraulic theory.

I would attach it here, but it is 1.2M in size, so here is a link to it. Download it to your PC for safe keeping.

http://www.derijcke.com/dl/manual.pdf

Read chapter 2 for a starter.