PT vs Composite Deck

/ PT vs Composite Deck
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like the 'new PT' is a bad choice.

Any opinions about the 'plastic' (Trex) versus composite, (Tamko)?

/ PT vs Composite Deck #12  
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like the 'new PT' is a bad choice.

Any opinions about the 'plastic' (Trex) versus composite, (Tamko)?
I have the Trex as earlier posted...absolutely love it! No experience with the Tamko.

/ PT vs Composite Deck #13  
+1 on the Ipe wood. Our wrap around deck is made of Ipe. It is extremely hard and heavy. A little hard to work with though and like deepndirt said it is a little pricey.

A side question to deepndirt. What brand stain do you recommend?

Sorry for the aside Mike.

Mark

Mark, actually I don't do the staining/sealing myself, I do recommend after I install to let the would dry and shrink for 10-15 days and then have them sealed, For the most folks they like to simply use a semi Transparent sealer so's to let the natural color show through, it is for sure some beautiful wood,
its called in Brazil ( Cambara decking ) but I call it Brazilian hardwood, IPE ;)
there is a product called Messmers UV plus stain in a variety of colors I'm sure you can find what your looking for here, but just as IPE the stain is pricey as well :cool:
Here is the link to their website,
Messmers Deck Oil for Ipe Page for Ipe Decking

/ PT vs Composite Deck #14  
I've been on some of the new composite decks that were so hot you couldn't stand to be on them. I know someone else that put it down, then removed it and used PT2x6 instead. I have PT 5/4, but it is splintering bad, so I'm interested in how this goes, as I want to replace my PT with something, just not sure what.

/ PT vs Composite Deck #15  
I think the old time carpenters would say that the only deck that is really going to last is one that is covered with a roof and properly framed to shed water quickly. Eons ago before PT, there were numerous outdoor porches around here that had gray painted wood floors, and there would be a rotten board or two around somewhere.

/ PT vs Composite Deck #16  
I think the old time carpenters would say that the only deck that is really going to last is one that is covered with a roof and properly framed to shed water quickly. Eons ago before PT, there were numerous outdoor porches around here that had gray painted wood floors, and there would be a rotten board or two around somewhere.

Back then they used Oak, walnut, Cypress,to mention a few but these lumber were plentyfull back Eons ago, not so today, lot of these woods are being used for furniture instead, where can be made more money from,

/ PT vs Composite Deck #17  
I did a small back porch with a roof over it using "CorrectDeck" which is an extruded plastic. It was very durable and has a good surface texture.

Two negatives:
Our dogs would lay on it, naturally, and the oil from their coats and paws gets into the texture wrinkles and only pressure washing will remove it well.

The T10 torx drivers - when driving the fastener, there is an art to knowing when to stop driving. Too soon and the head will be above the surface of the deck just enough to be aggravating. Once you stop driving, it is really about impossible to restart to go a bit deeper. The torx bits I could buy were all on the soft side, they wear and twist out easily. Get a handful if you use this method :)

I also had a PT deck on the that house, it was always needing care, plus I would shovel it clear of snow once or twice per winter if the load got really heavy. That's where a roofed deck would be a big advantage. PT decks are hard to keep looking "like new".

I would choose a plastic or composite over PT wood. Wood decks take lots of care and maintenance. They can quickly start looking pretty shabby unless you keep after them. Better yet, I would have a stone paver patio which will last forever, doesn't need staining or shoveling, never splits, warps or cracks :D
Dave

/ PT vs Composite Deck #18  
I have used PT wood and composite. Composite is easy to work and very durable, and I would have use it again, but I found something better.
Ceramic.
This however would require a slab.

Attachments

• backporch1.jpg
    backporch1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 183
   / PT vs Composite Deck #19  
Mark, actually I don't do the staining/sealing myself, I do recommend after I install to let the would dry and shrink for 10-15 days and then have them sealed, For the most folks they like to simply use a semi Transparent sealer so's to let the natural color show through, it is for sure some beautiful wood,
its called in Brazil ( Cambara decking ) but I call it Brazilian hardwood, IPE ;)
there is a product called Messmers UV plus stain in a variety of colors I'm sure you can find what your looking for here, but just as IPE the stain is pricey as well :cool:
Here is the link to their website,
Messmers Deck Oil for Ipe Page for Ipe Decking

Thanks for the response. "Messmers UV Plus" is what I used. Nice to hear it recommended by an installer.

Mark

/ PT vs Composite Deck #20  
I have used PT wood and composite. Composite is easy to work and very durable, and I would have use it again, but I found something better.
Ceramic.
This however would require a slab.

txdon, that ceramic really looks nice. Any idea how well it would hold up in the northern freeze/thaw conditions?

Mark