pt425 problem

/ pt425 problem #1  

smilindave

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power Trac 425
Well today I was using pulling logs out of the woods. Heard a slight knocking noise when under pressure but when there was no load it sounded fine. ran it the rest of the afternoon and then hooked the log splitter up to it. It runs off the pto. After about 1 1/2 hrs I shut the pto off for a little bit and then turned it back on. No response. The pto didn't engage at all. turned it off and then back on and the back end of the motor area started knocking pretty bad. Shut if off and the noise was still there. I turned the throttle down and it seemed to get worse, but when I throttled up it seemed to clear up. I decided it was time to head to the garage and check things out. Tried to lift the loader arms up and no response. The tractor move forward and reverse however the steering was not responding. It felt like no power steering. Got it in the garage and called it a day. I'm thinking maybe the keyway on the back pump sheared off. I thought the rear pump was only for the pto. Am I wrong? Gonna start tearing things apart tomorrow. Hopefully its nothing major.

/ pt425 problem #2  
Sounds like the drive coupler between the pumps stripped/cracked/broke in some way. If so it should be a fairly easy repair. If your lucky you wont even have to crack loose any hyd lines and just change out the part.

/ pt425 problem
you were correct. had to replace both lovejoy connectors and the coupler

/ pt425 problem #4  
Glad that it worked out for you.