PT425 Steering Valve Noises

/ PT425 Steering Valve Noises
Called local JD dealer to inquire about rebuilding this valve. We poked around until he found the 5 port model. He said it was from a 332 and internal parts are no longer available for that valve, but seal kits are. There are 5 seal kits @ $50 each for a total of $250 just for seals, plus labor. It would be better to buy the whole valve new, which is still available.

Then he said "HOLY $^&*#!!!"
I said, "You just looked at the price of the valve new, didn't you?"
He said "Yeah. $980."
OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!

I thanked him and told him I will probably look for used parts. He agreed.

I decided to call Power Trac just to see how much the valve would be. As usual, I was immediately directed to Terry. :laughing:

I told Terry the issues. He said he is 99.9% certain the valve is not bad and that the problem is my ball ends on the steering rams are probably not lubed enough. I found that hard to believe, but he is pretty adamant that is the problem. He told me to soak the ball ends in super lube heavily for a day or so and give it a try. If that did not resolve it, he told me to call him back and hold the phone next to the tractor so he could hear the noise. I said O.K., but wanted the price of a new valve just in case. He said he was not going to give me the price of a new vavle because he is certain the problem is not in the valve.....

Well, I am very happy that he is trying his best to help me out and not cost me a bgd chunk of money. :thumbsup: So, I'll give it a try as soon as I get time (had to go trick-or-treating last night). Now I have to locate some super lube. I have been using white lithium grease all these years.

Anyone got a lead on super lube?

/ PT425 Steering Valve Noises #13  
Well, I can say that my ball ends are a huge source of noise.. Lots of creaking and groaning. I put grease on them to quiet them down, but it lasts for only a few days and then it is noisy again. Installing grease zerts are out of my skill set.

Just a note. When my seals failed I had oil in the "cab". Dripping down the front of the column.

/ PT425 Steering Valve Noises #15  
What did Terry have to say about the steering fluid leak?

Does your valve have these 5 ports?

IN, OUT, LT, RT, and AUX

This 5 port Ross steering valve is in a Stiener

7 23-054 VALVE, STEERING ROSS 5-PORT $474.78

What did Terry have to say about the steering fluid leak?

Does your valve have these 5 ports?

IN, OUT, LT, RT, and AUX

This 5 port Ross steering valve is in a Stiener

7 23-054 VALVE, STEERING ROSS 5-PORT $474.78

Probably. Can't find a picture of it.

In a steering valve, what is AUX? Is it a return or Power Beyond?

Power beyond.

There's 5 ports.
In
Out
Left
Right
Aux.

I'll trace out all the hoses when I put the valve back in to see exactly where the AUX goes. My guess is it powers the FEL circuit.

/ PT425 Steering Valve Noises #20  
Dear MossRoad,

I've been getting my SuperLube from Global Industrial, Amazon, or Ace Hardware on line. Not that you need them, but the first has the unusual copper crush washers used by the Deutzs, and lots of other service parts...

My power beyond would appear to power the the FEL; all you have to do is lock the wheel at one extreme, and you have no power for the FEL.

All the best,

Peter

Power beyond.

There's 5 ports.
In
Out
Left
Right
Aux.

I'll trace out all the hoses when I put the valve back in to see exactly where the AUX goes. My guess is it powers the FEL circuit.