PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue)

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #1  

allenport

Tractor
kubota L3400
On Friday 8/11 I mowed for a few hours. No problems. Yesterday, Saturday 8/13, I drove down to the field, engaged the mower, and it sounded like I was grinding up a pile of steel. It was loud and startling. I immediately turned off the switch. Looked behind me and it wasn't cutting at all. My first thought was a damaged belt (btdt) or something stuck. Ruled that out. Checked the blades to make sure they turned and weren't obstructed. Waited for my evening handyman helper (he is only a shade more knowledgeable that me on this stuff). He asked where the noise was coming from, and I couldn't tell. So I started up the tractor and engaged the blades so he could hear. He said it was coming from where the PTO drive shaft connects. He fumbled around with that, not really knowing what he was hoping to achieve. So that was the extent of trying to resolve the problem.

I then went to google and youtube looking for answers and really couldn't find any. I can't seem to see how that finish mower drive shaft connects to the tractor. I'm thinking it is loose or something. Does that make sense? I can't even figure out of to remove it. According to what I found on youtube, it should 'snap' in place. Some video show some sort of 'button' which mine doesn't have.

It's very weird that this problem occured overnight. I do mow very uneven land up and down hills, etc.

Do you still need a photo of this?

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #3  
Based on what you've told us it could be a bad U-joint or Gear Box. So you have never removed the finish mower from your tractor to know how the PTO shaft attaches? There are a couple different retention methods if you post a picture it should be easy to tell you how to remove it. Once you can remove the PTO shaft you can engage the PTO and you would know whether the noise is coming from the tractor or the mower.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #4  
Right now I am suspecting a shear bolt or slip clutch but don’t know which it has.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #5  
He said the noise was coming from where the PTO drive shaft connects to the tractor.

I then went to Google and YouTube looking for answers but couldn't find any. I can't seem to see how that finish mower drive shaft connects to the tractor. According to what I found on youtube, it should 'snap' in place. Some videos show some sort of 'button' which mine doesn't have.
I am a new member and a woman. Please bear that in mind if my questions sound uneducated. I started using our 7 foot finishing mower in 2020 when my husband died.

You probably have a pull-back collar latch. Research below.

T-B-N ARCHIVE:
PTO SHAFT, BUTTON OR COLLAR LATCH site:tractorbynet.com

If the Finish Mower has been attached to the tractor for three years or more the PTO SHAFT and TRACTOR SPLINES may be pretty much glued into one piece with grass residue. "Blaster" is a spray solvent available at almost any hardware or farm supply store. Soak the connection with spray Blaster, applying twice per day, for two days.

(Tapping the connection lightly with a mallet or hammer will improve penetration and distribution of the solvent.)

I have tried to connect an implement to the tractor PTO for the first time.

I could not get the attachment to slide onto the PTO. I think it is a subtle alignment issue between the female splines of the implement and the male splines of the tractor PTO.

New PTO powered implements, connecting to new tractor PTO splines are always difficult. Once implement and tractor PTO parts are somewhat worn in, mating becomes easier.

Clean mating parts, lubrication and technique are the keys.

Most here like Eureka Fluid Film as PTO lube. I prefer wax chain lube in an aerosol can.

Grease is too thick.

WD-40 burns off. Shaft goes on "OK" cold but can be difficult to disconnect when hot. WD-40 leaves a sticky fish-oil residue which accumulates.

Connect the implement to the tractor via two Lower Link pins and one Top Link pin. Lift implement hydraulically until implement PTO shaft and tractor PTO spines are perfectly level, one with the other.

Turn tractor engine off, disengage PTO so tractor PTO splines can be turned by hand.

Turn male splines by hand until they align with female shaft indents. Slide shaft onto tractor splines. Retract whatever type of detent you have, button or pull-back collar, then push the implement shaft the final two inches onto the tractor PTO stub. You will hear a 'click' when shaft fully mates with tractor splines.

If the PTO shaft and tractor splines are NOT perfectly level it is almost impossible to shove implement shaft on to tractor PTO splines.

I am 74 years old. I can mount implement and connect the PTO on my heavier tractor without too much difficulty in five minutes

Hi folks...took a bit of time and fussing but wanted to update you. PTO connection problem was resolved by leveling the implement to the PTO.

Last edited:
   / PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #6  
Does it have an overrunning clutch that has failed? Has the pto shaft failed or even been maintained over the years? Does it have a clutch or shear pin? Gearbox self destructed? PTO on tractor could have failed because pto shaft rusted solid and won't slip. Time to look at everything and maybe do some maintenance.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue)
Yes a photo of the PTO shaft and both connecting ends will help a lot.
ok, photo on the way. I'm going out to take one. Hope it comes out ok because my cell phone needs replacing and the camera lens is scratched.

Based on what you've told us it could be a bad U-joint or Gear Box. So you have never removed the finish mower from your tractor to know how the PTO shaft attaches? There are a couple different retention methods if you post a picture it should be easy to tell you how to remove it. Once you can remove the PTO shaft you can engage the PTO and you would know whether the noise is coming from the tractor or the mower.
No I have never removed or hooked up the mower. Up until 2019 I was a serious horseperson. I had a big harrow attached to the tractor and, according to my husband, it was a pain in the butt to remove and hook up the finish mower. We left the harrow on until my husband died and I wanted to use the mower.

First my handyman hooked up the mower and couldn't keep it attached and from swaying, etc. So we stopped using it. I think is was 2021 (I'd have to check) that I had the Kubota guy hook up the mower for me. Since then it has stayed hooked up.

Does it have an overrunning clutch that has failed? Has the pto shaft failed or even been maintained over the years? Does it have a clutch or shear pin? Gearbox self destructed? PTO on tractor could have failed because pto shaft rusted solid and won't slip. Time to look at everything and maybe do some maintenance.
Boy are your questions confusing and over my head. I get the tractor serviced each year in May by a Kubota service person. I assume he looks at everything. It usually runs about $800.

Where I'm confused is your asking about clutches.....clutches on a finish mower??? The finish mower has not been maintained but has been rarely used until the last couple years. It was purchased used, I think.

/ PTO Drive shaft problem (my latest issue) #10  
ok, photo on the way. I'm going out to take one.

There are only two types of PTO latch.

1) Button 2) pull-back collar.

If you do not have the button, you have the pull-back collar type.

VIDEOS:

Last edited: