pto driven LARGE wood lathe

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #21  
When you find your solution, don't compromise on the quality of the gouges/chisels etc. that you buy and keep them sharp.

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #22  
I have all general high carbon steel chisles, and they are very good. I bought some chineese hss chisles, and they are just as good. (if not better)

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #23  
While browsing the museum on Vinalhaven I espied a picture of the lathe constructed to turn granite pillars for a church in New York City. Madness.

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #24  
I vote with the others who have said to just look for a used or a cheap chinese lathe. If you were doing something large or tricky, there might be some benefit to risking it on a PTO lathe. As it is, you are doing rather small pieces, and you've mentioned that you don't need a lot of precision. I have one of the Harbor Freight lathes, and I can turn out a good vase or a cane without much of a problem. The one I have would easily handle the size pieces you mentioned.

Even if you bought the HF lathe at full price with no coupons it would be cheaper than the parts to build one. The best bet is if you can get a killer deal from the want ads or craig's list like what Deereman found.

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #25  
I dont think it being powered by a tractor is a bad Idea. I met an Amish/Mennonite man by the name of Samuel Yoder and dealt on some parts for him and his outfit. He built some of these preassembeled cabins and was setting up some new machinery. A mutual friend in the power transmission business told him I had several gear boxes from and auction. I delivered a few to his place and got the tour. He had a pto powered 3 point mounted wood lathe made liek the one in the vid. For the headstock he used the front spindle off a FWD car for th bearing I think it was the 3 bolt flange and bearing and hub from a Montana mini van. The tail stock was similar. He had a rad that ran to the tractor a 4000 Ford's PTO it can be engaged of disengaged without clutching.

He had an acme screw down the side on pillow blocks that ran a carriage made from plate and angle stock. The drive for this was run off the headstock from a chain. It was a small Peerless lawnmower chain drive transmission. This let him do long turns with out alot of moving a rest. He also could change the sprockets on the shafts of the transmission with a crude timing set up and make spirals in the work. I would have taken a picture of this but I didnt want go against his beliefs.
y
The tractor was at a very low idle to. I think My friends surplus site has the frame of a similar unit that was used. Our problem here other than high scrap prices is that alot of the good heavy wood tools is the lack of them beig used in the passed and the ones that did have them kept them.

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #26