pto driven LARGE wood lathe

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #11  
I would look at the older rockwell beavers, I have one and it is great.

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #12  
I think you are surrendering a little quick. Take a look at this youtube posting. I believe I would want double pillow blocks on the headstock and make allowances that you will be applying more power than the standard lathe. You could probably rig some belt changes for speed control in addition to the throttle speed. Might be over kill for the size of columms you are wanting to turn but should be as safe as any lathe if the same safety concerns are used.

‪turning timber column on lathe‬‏ - YouTube

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #13  
No, I think he’s surrendering at just the right time, before someone gets hurt. That link didn’t show anything in action, just pics. It claims to be turning it at 150 rpms, all we can do is trust them. I know darn well the PTO shaft is turning faster than that, not to mention the HP behind it. Way too many questions for me to trust it. Not everything on You Tube is a good idea. Not to mention it’s clearly cheaper to just buy one.

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #15  
Just buy a used rockwell/beaver/delta/powermatic. Costs less then harbor freight if your lucky, and is as good a lathe as there is. Read the post above to see how good a deal I got.

In my part of the world. I've been looking for most anything worth buying. Craig's list & other, nothing has come up.

Next is "If you get Lucky" it may be a good one. What good is a Bargain if its no good or neads major repairs.

Glad that you got lucky. :thumbsup:

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #16  
In my part of the world. I've been looking for most anything worth buying. Craig's list & other, nothing has come up.

Next is "If you get Lucky" it may be a good one. What good is a Bargain if its no good or neads major repairs.

Glad that you got lucky. :thumbsup:

I also saw another rockwell beaver lathe almost identical to mine, n the same site, a few weeks later, for $600, and it didnt have nearly as many extras.

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #17  
Sounds like I had better get out of dodge before I get someone hurt. I admit I have very little experience with wood lathes. All my wood experience has been with larger columms/pieces. I do have a 30" x 12-1/2' metal lathe that I have turned some columms on. Very slow but no wood lathes ro handle the large work. Also a 13" metal lathe. the 13" is only 36" between centers so is mainly to short for most wood projects. Please notice the columm turning utube lathe that I posted did have a slip clutch and headstock bearings like a common wood lathe.

Economics--probably be cheaper just to buy the columms. That way safety concerns would be splinters and dropping the columms on your toes.

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #18  
Economics--probably be cheaper just to buy the columms.

If you found as good a deal on a lathe as I did, and you were very good at turning, it would be cheeper to make them.

But if you could only find a lathe for $300+, or you were not that good at turning, it would not be worth it, becuase the mistakes would waste alot of wood.

/ pto driven LARGE wood lathe #19  
A wood lathe is not rocket science,

take two Channel iron, or I beam for the bed, cut spacers and weld them in the center with a gap between the two channels or I beams, In MY opinion if the beams have narrow flanges most likely the better,

put that on a stand build a head stock (shaft set with two pillow block bearings,
have a key way cut in the shaft for a pulley or step pulleys, have one end threaded and or have a machine shop drill a hole in it or use some bushing stock tubing, and have a mortise taper reamed in to the end of the stock, (your going to need some type of drive, if threaded one could use a commercial face plate but if you get the taper put in one can use manufactured live center,

on the tail stock one will need to make so the center is the same hight as the head stock,

this could be a piece of tubing or nearly any thing that you can weld up, fix a flat to keep it aligned on the bed, and then a hole for some type of bolt, to lock it down,

to make the tail stock so one can adjust it, my thought has all ways been to use a large thread shaft and then weld two nuts on the tail stock you made, put a hand wheel on the tail end and (if it was me I would have a hole drilled into and ream a mortise taper in the front end, so one could use a commercial made centers, but if not even having the center turned into the threaded shaft, take a third nut to use as a locking nut, this way one can adjust the tail stock by turning the threaded shaft when correct tighten up the the third nut to lock the shaft in place,

here is form with a home made lathe some what to what I described, the bed is a little different, but the head stock and tail stock is similar, http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/homemade-lathe-3037/ about half way down, the page,

if your doing large items one may have to make special centers to hold the work correctly and safely,

I do not think that making the lathe is a poor idea, I do think that powering it with the tractor with out any way to quickly shut it down is and not limiting the power to the unit,

I made a small lath when I was in high school with some 3 inch channel iron and it worked well, (it would have have been much better if I would have had the shaft turned and a Mortise taper put in, as I had crude home made centers, (if having the taper cut is not possible, one could have a "Solid Drill Sockets" pressed into the shafts and lock tighted, (there mortise taper and hardened, and a round and straight out side),

one can buy a reamer or a scocket from ENCO or MSC, travelers and Wholesale tool,
or an other of the machine tool supply places,
(this is jsut an example Solid Drill Sockets (Hardened & Ground -- WT Import))

Last edited:
   / pto driven LARGE wood lathe #20  
also do not over look old metal lathes, I think I only payed a few hundred for the old 24" by 7 foot bed lath I have,

I know it is a dark picture, but one can kinda get an idea, and will work for wood if one wants, to, one may need to make a tool rest if one wanted to do a lot I just clamp a bar in the tool holder and even used the tools for metal work to turn some with it,

one time even set it up one time with the router to make flutes in the columns

Attachments

• lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 458