PTO Driven Water Pump

/ PTO Driven Water Pump #1  

SuperDutyDave

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 5525 Cab-MFWD Deere 244J Loader
Hello

I have a Deere 3720 tractor and I am looking for a 3pt hitch and/or trailer mounted water pump that would be powered by the rear PTO. I would use it to drawn water from my dry hydrant that I installed in my farm pond. Does anyone know of a manufacturer and/or website wear I could buy one. It does not have to be of tremendous capacity and/or move trash just a decent volume of water.

Any help would be great.

Dave

ps. tractor has 35 PTO HP. 540-RPM

/ PTO Driven Water Pump #2  
These guys make some 3pt pumps.
Spray - Products - Summary

I don't know anything about a dry hydrant, most guys use a roller pump on their 3 pt. But the roller pump will only lift water 3 feet up to the pump, so it normally sits under or even with the water tank on a spray rig.

How high will you need to lift the water to reach the pump?

/ PTO Driven Water Pump #3  
SDD - Do a Google or EBAY search for irrigation pumps, there's several to choose from. MikeD74T

/ PTO Driven Water Pump
the pond I have is approximately 1/2 acre...and 15' in depth. The dry hydrant is a 6" diameter pipe that sits 3' off the bottom with a strainer end on it...it comes up about 10' away from the pond and allows for you to take water out of the pond at any time of the year even if frozen...most rural fire depts use them for fire protection.

I therefore have to lift the water approximately 10-12' and thru a 6" diameter pipe...a sizable amount of water but any reasonable sized trash pump with a 10hp Honda motor will do it. 6" downsized to 2" inlet and 1.5" -2" output for use with a fire hose to wash equipment and/or flood pond surface in winter for skating. I would assume 35 pto HP would easily accomplish the same task as a 10-12hp motor.

spray type pumps are not sufficient you need a real volume pump that moves both volume and creates pressure.

SD-Dave

/ PTO Driven Water Pump #5  
SuperDutyDave, The total vertical length of pipe involved is NOT the issue. The lift that counts is the height above the surface of the pond to the dry hydrant connection.

PTO driven roller pumps come in all capacities and are not very costly. A way better solution than many others if the "LIFT" isn't too great. Small engine driven diaphragm pumps work well too but cost more and give you yet another little engine to require maint. They will handle a larger lift than the roller pumps and are high volume low pressure vs the roller pump which is more into pressure for spraying than high volumes of flow.

Pat

/ PTO Driven Water Pump
Pat

thanks for some help...the lift hieght is approximately 12+ feet...the pond is 15' deep the intake is about 2+ feet off bottom...hydrant is about 2+' above ground...so its a fairly decent lift height... really would like a three point PTO driven pump that is fixed to a three point frame work that would support in use and when stored. most sprayer or roller pumps I have seen are just loose types with no support to tractor etc.

A website or manufacturer name would be great...

SD-Dave

/ PTO Driven Water Pump #7  
SuperDutyDave said:
Pat

thanks for some help...the lift hieght is approximately 12+ feet...the pond is 15' deep the intake is about 2+ feet off bottom...hydrant is about 2+' above ground...so its a fairly decent lift height... really would like a three point PTO driven pump that is fixed to a three point frame work that would support in use and when stored. most sprayer or roller pumps I have seen are just loose types with no support to tractor etc.

A website or manufacturer name would be great...

SD-Dave

Just to clarify,
The lift height is the diffrence from the water surface elevation to the elevation of the pump. As far as the pump is concerned it doesn't matter if the pond is 15' deep or 100' deep (Not accounting for losses in the pipe of course).

/ PTO Driven Water Pump #8  
Northen Tool offers a 90 gpm PTO pump but it needs 1000 rpm, they also offer a number of shaft driven pumps where you would need to fabricate a mount & pulley drive.

Pressure Washers, Portable Generators, Mowers, Lawn + Garden | Northern Tool + Equipment

I gave up on the PTO pump idea to draw pond water & bought a cheap 110v ac lawn sprinkler pump from them instead. It draws well once primed and moves a enough water for my needs at a decent pressure.

/ PTO Driven Water Pump
I think I found what I described yet it gives no specific specs on pump capacity lift, HP needed etc. What do you guys think?

3 Point Hitch PTO Pumps-540 RPM on Gator Pump, Inc.

really want to have something tractor powered...one less engine to maintain...less worry about it working and definitely sufficient power to do the job

SD-Dave

/ PTO Driven Water Pump #10  
ROVATTI PTO PUMPS

Get a real irrigation pump, Rovatti. 265 gpm @ 140psi should do the trick.

KB