PTO driven WOOD CHIPPERS

/ PTO driven WOOD CHIPPERS #22  
I think it was $800-1000.00 Roy :moneybag: Bummer.

Yeah...not cheap...but look at it as a long term investment.

Since my chipping consists mostly of clean up work (rather then land clearing) a few times a year, I just haven't found the blower to be cost effective. However, considering what I paid for my chipper/shredder ($1000), a total of $2K wouldn't be too bad if I did buy one.
I have limited funds (more or less retired now) so I have to determine which implements make the most sense to buy...in my case, it's most likely a PTO driven generator.
Anyway, last time I chipped...once I got a pretty good pile, I just used the loader to dump those chips in my trailer. Worked like a champ!

/ PTO driven WOOD CHIPPERS #24  
It takes a 3/4" wrench to remove the bolt which holds closed the rotor/blade guard on a Wallenstein chipper.
A chainsaw wrench/screwdriver and/or a sparkplug socket are also 3/4" and work fine for loosening the bolt.

PUT THE BOLT IN YOUR POCKET IMMEDIATELY.
It is easy to drop it in the leaves and then it will run off and you are SOL in the woods.
(Sharing my my personal experience with YOU.)

I would rule out purchasing any PTO chipper which has one or more v-belts as part of the drive mechanism.
V-belts as part of a PTO driven chipper are contrary to the KISS principle. Why have V-belts? They are always trouble.

/ PTO driven WOOD CHIPPERS #25  
I would rule out purchasing any PTO chipper which has one or more v-belts as part of the drive mechanism.
V-belts as part of a PTO driven chipper are contrary to the KISS principle. Why have V-belts? They are always trouble.

Boy, I've got to disagree with you there!
The Woods and Bearcat chipper/shredders use twin belts to increase the flywheel speed. That, of course, aids in chipping and if the chipper does get jammed, the belts take the brunt rather then any hard parts. Easier on the tractor's PTO too.
My Woods doesn't jam often..2 or 3 times since I bought it. And it'll smoke those belts when it jams...but no other damage.

/ PTO driven WOOD CHIPPERS #26  
Yup, definitely agree with Roy. Mine's got 4 belts. Maybe the extra pair is why mine's never smoked. I've slowed down the tractor engine a time or two, but the belts have never noticeably slipped.

//greg//

/ PTO driven WOOD CHIPPERS #27  

That is very much contrary to my experience. I agree with Roy and Greg.
I also like the mechanical isolation that the belts provide between the tractor PTO drive and high momentum chipper flywheel . Shocks, if they occur, are absorbed by the belts.

/ PTO driven WOOD CHIPPERS #28  
I have the Wallenstein BXM32 chipper/shredder. If you have lots if fine debris- leaves, twigs, the like this unit just seems to eat them up through the shreddr hopper. The shredder throat isn't quite as big as the BX32, but for me anything around 3" is firewood. The BXM32 (and its larger cousins) use v-belts to increase the rotor speed and I think Roy et al have brought up a good point. A belt is a lot cheaper than internal tractor parts ...

Frank

/ PTO driven WOOD CHIPPERS #29  
jeff9366 said:
PUT THE BOLT IN YOUR POCKET IMMEDIATELY.
It is easy to drop it in the leaves and then it will run off and you are SOL in the woods.
(Sharing my my personal experience with YOU.)

I agree that losing the bolt sucks - took a long time to find once........
I now open the top of my BX40 and put the bolt back in the threaded hole a few turns while I clear the blockage so
that any debris I am removing does not get into it......Also stops me dropping it!
Put another 2 hours on my unit this weekend.

/ PTO driven WOOD CHIPPERS #30  
Hello;

About 10 years ago I bought a new Woods Chipper. At that time they offered two models. I bought the largest one with Hydraulic Feed. As I recall it is made by Bear Cat. No problems and have been very happy with it. It mounts on a 60 hp Case IH MFWD loader tractor. IMHO don't buy one without the hydraulic feed. Pushing branches and logs into it will get old very fast.

Thanks, nicholas