PTO gear box

/ PTO gear box #1  

Hooked_on_HP

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E
Are there different gear ratios used on different attachments. Does a bush hog use the same ratio as a tiller.
Bill

/ PTO gear box #2  
I can't say for the tiller gearbox, but there are different ratio gearboxes for different bush hogs. I am not sure if it has something to do with the 540/1000 pto speeds or not.
David from jax

/ PTO gear box #3  
Yes, different gear ratios. Lots of them, even in the same company.

Why do you ask? Have a problem or a project?

jb

/ PTO gear box
John,
Lets call in an experiment. I would like to turn my RFM a little faster without turning the engine any faster. I was also wondering if I increase the engine rpm's 200 how much am I increasing the blade rpm's. I have 4 different attachments with pto gear boxes that I could try. Are the gear boxes marked with the ratio. This time of year I have to much time to sit and think and come up with ideas like this one.
Bill

/ PTO gear box #5  
If you know the spindle RPM or blade tip speed of your RFM, the increase would be linear in the same percentage as the 200 engine RPM increase is over the normal setting.

Few gearboxes are marked with a drive ratio. You can mark the input and output shafts and observe the output shaft rotation for one input shaft turn (by hand). Or look up the tooth count of the gears in the machine's parts info (if the mfg bothered to publish it).

/ PTO gear box #6  
John,
Lets call in an experiment. I would like to turn my RFM a little faster without turning the engine any faster. I was also wondering if I increase the engine rpm's 200 how much am I increasing the blade rpm's. I have 4 different attachments with pto gear boxes that I could try. Are the gear boxes marked with the ratio. This time of year I have to much time to sit and think and come up with ideas like this one.
Bill

Experiments are fun.

You can look up the owners manual on line or just count revolutions. Mark the PTO shaft and spray paint a bright color on part of the rotating assembly thru the access hatch. Then spin the PTO shaft 10 times and count the rotations of the blade.

Not all cut quality issues are from blade speed. Blade design, deck design and other stuff can make a big difference. Guys like "lonecowboy" and "farmwithjunk" that cut commercially can give details.

jb