PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors?

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #1  

arcteryx

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500 4wd
I was looking at Baumalight's site at the TX12 specifically, and it had a warning in the manual to not use for over 2HP motors or the generator could be damaged. I emailed Baumalight and they confirmed, none of the TX series are rated for more than 2HP regardless of watts, and they recommend the 4 pole KR or QC series. I have a 3HP well pump and need something to power it.

If Baumalight says this, do other manufacturers - Winco, Northstar, IMD, HF- have a similar requirement? I have looked at some of them but have never come across this type of warning.

For those with PTO generators, do you run motors larger than 2 HP and if so, are there any problems or issues?

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #2  
I’m not clear. Are you asking about running a 2HP electric motor with a PTO generator?

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors?
I’m not clear. Are you asking about running a 2HP electric motor with a PTO generator?

Correct, a 2HP or larger motor with a PTO gen.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #4  
That’s a significant starting load for a generator to handle, that’s probably why they don’t recommend it. As long as the generator/tractor have sufficient power to run it, there wouldn’t be an issue running it that I can think of. There are starting capacitors and similar that can smooth out or slow start the motor without that surge load to the power supply, not sure if something like that would work.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #5  
I was looking at Baumalight's site at the TX12 specifically, and it had a warning in the manual to not use for over 2HP motors or the generator could be damaged. I emailed Baumalight and they confirmed, none of the TX series are rated for more than 2HP regardless of watts, and they recommend the 4 pole KR or QC series. I have a 3HP well pump and need something to power it.

If Baumalight says this, do other manufacturers - Winco, Northstar, IMD, HF- have a similar requirement? I have looked at some of them but have never come across this type of warning.

For those with PTO generators, do you run motors larger than 2 HP and if so, are there any problems or issues?
i'd be interested if they would tell you why, or how a 4 pole changes the damage issue

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #6  

The Winco 10Kw pto generator will start a 3HP motor, don't know about the others.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #7  
Electric motors nameplates generally will show starting kVA (NEMA codes), some as high as nine times the running kVA. Use the starting kVA when determinig the correct electrical load requirements. If there isn’t enough power to start there isn’t enough to run.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #8  
i'd be interested if they would tell you why, or how a 4 pole changes the damage issue
Probably a different starting curve and preventing going into a deep electrical discussion with the customer so they have an arbitrary line in the sand with that

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #9  
We used a PTO generator during power outages on our dairy farm that had several 5, 7.5 & 10 HP single phase motors. These were on vacuum pump for milking, AC compressor for cooling milk, 4 silo unloaders, barn cleaner, well, etc. never damaged a motor but also made 55 HP tractor grunt to run it.

My guess depends on generator size.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #10  
We used a PTO generator during power outages on our dairy farm that had several 5, 7.5 & 10 HP single phase motors. These were on vacuum pump for milking, AC compressor for cooling milk, 4 silo unloaders, barn cleaner, well, etc. never damaged a motor but also made 55 HP tractor grunt to run it.

My guess depends on generator size.
Similar demands on our farm generators, mine starts and runs a 5 hp air compressor smoother then the utility power does.