PTO Generator on sale at Rural King

/ PTO Generator on sale at Rural King #21  
anyone still using this gen? having problems with one I just got. not putting out enough voltage at 540 rpms. any tips? thanks

You're responding to an old thread.
Do you have adequate PTO HP for the generator? IIRC, you need about 2 PTO HP per Kilowatt (example: a 15kW genny needs 30 PTO HP to drive it). If you do not have adequate PTO HP, you will not get the full output from the generator.
If you do have adequate PTO HP, are you sure you're measuring the output correctly?

If you do have enough PTO HP, and you are measuring the out correctly; don't dig into the generator...you'll void any warranty. Just return it to where you bought it.

/ PTO Generator on sale at Rural King #22  
I purchased one from Rural King and even got free shipping! The generator has worked fine while I tested it out but mainly sits in the garage ready to go. It is the same one offered by Harbor Freight and as terrific reviews from owners.

/ PTO Generator on sale at Rural King #23  
My tractor was placed on a Dino recently and putting out 42 hp. I got the generator from an auction. The only way I can get a reading is kicking rpms beyond 540 and then I only get 7 volts. Any help I'm thankful for.

/ PTO Generator on sale at Rural King #24  
I would guess there is a bad connection or burnt wire somewhere. I would take the case off and look for something obvious then take it to a generator service center.

/ PTO Generator on sale at Rural King #25  
My tractor was placed on a Dino recently and putting out 42 hp. I got the generator from an auction. The only way I can get a reading is kicking rpms beyond 540 and then I only get 7 volts. Any help I'm thankful for.

Three things I suggest:
If there is a slip clutch on the drive shaft, make sure the slip clutch is adjusted correctly
Rig the genny on another tractor (if one is available) and see if you get the same output

If the two above are OK (meaning they have no effect on the generator output), then you probably have worn brushes...badly worn. If you're competent at rebuilding a generator, that's what I'd do.
If you think a rebuild is beyond your skills, you could try a company that rebuilds electric motors...get their advice or let them do the troubleshooting. Since you bought this generator at an auction, you just have to determine if it's worth putting money into it.

Best of luck!

/ PTO Generator on sale at Rural King #26  
Seems like some types of generators can lose their ability to put out power and need to be shocked with a small voltage to re-energize. Don't try anything based on my post but hopefully someone will chime in. I also believe that generator is an alternator type and brshless but I don't know much when it comes to electricity.

It is called excite or re-energize and here is a link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071031180426AAhR8NB

Last edited:
   / PTO Generator on sale at Rural King #27  
anyone still using this gen? having problems with one I just got. not putting out enough voltage at 540 rpms. any tips? thanks

not putting out any.. or enough?

at 540 what is it doing?

if you upp the rpm does it correct it? IE.. does 560 make it work?

do you have a freq countrer or oscope?

freq is important. voltage a lil less.

IE.. most modern stuff will run on 110-130 fine if freq is correct.

if triac driven.. it can run 90-240v usually.

for the double stuff. 220-240 is easilly fine..

what ya got?

/ PTO Generator on sale at Rural King #28  
are you testing it with no load on t he output?

try plugging in a lamp and testing it.

ext.

Some like to be re-excited with a universal drill motor.

ie.. get a drill.. plug it in.. and then spin that drill with another drill.. like a bat one. chucking them up with a rod chuck to chuck.

press button on drill into genny.. then activate other drill... for SOME that will kick them.

/ PTO Generator on sale at Rural King #29  
I did idle up to about 6 to 700 rpm it kick in to 7 volts and I think it was 70 htz. I used a drill to test and it wouldn't work. I'm just using the display on gen for readings. Gen has only 12 hours of use.

/ PTO Generator on sale at Rural King #30  
whenever you are ready to put some real time into it and provide a lil more descriptions of exactly wht you did, and when you are motivated enough to put some real test equipment to it. post back.