PTO Generator question

/ PTO Generator question #21  
IMG_2914.jpeg
IMG_2896.jpeg
IMG_2899.jpeg

10kW , 515rpm, trash can enclosure. Help keeps it clean stored in the tractor shed. Need way to monitor when running. Have gauges both at the generator and by the TV inside the house. With PTO generators hertz as important as voltage to monitor power.

/ PTO Generator question #22  
10kW , 515rpm, trash can enclosure. Help keeps it clean stored in the tractor shed. Need way to monitor when running. Have gauges both at the generator and by the TV inside the house. With PTO generators hertz as important as voltage to monitor power.

Looks good, and vermin-resistant, too (4-legged kind anyway).

Frequency is very important, yes. I added this cheap gauge to my Onan RV genny that I refurbished. You could install it anywhere. This one is only 4000W, but 1800RPM 2-cyl. 44yo. About 1/2-3/4 gal per hour, gasoline.

Attachments

• Onan_running.jpg
    Onan_running.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 31
   / PTO Generator question
I'm so glad I posted this, these are the answers I was searching

/ PTO Generator question #24  
Looks good, and vermin-resistant, too (4-legged kind anyway).

Frequency is very important, yes. I added this cheap gauge to my Onan RV genny that I refurbished. You could install it anywhere. This one is only 4000W, but 1800RPM 2-cyl. 44yo. About 1/2-3/4 gal per hour, gasoline.

Those old Onans are great generators, and seem to last forever. I had an 1800 rpm 4kw Onan in my previous small motorhome.

/ PTO Generator question #25  
I had an older onan 1800 rpm also, but sold it as getting real parts, not Chinese copies, was getting very hard.

/ PTO Generator question #26  
Just unplugging them all but one, and wait 5 min, between plugging next one in would solve that problem

We had an extended power outage during a wildfire. I mostly ran 2 refrigerators + 1 standing freezer, and occasionally a 3/4hp well pump -- off of a 3000W generac ("3500W starting!!!").

Sometimes - but not always - when the well pump kicked on, the generator's circuit breaker would pop - I had to unplug the coolers and let the well run a couple minutes, then plug the coolers back in one at a time. Good thing is that the well pump only runs when you deliberately run water, so we went on low-water-usage mode and only flushed when we really needed to.

Nice thing about that 3kw generator is that it really just sipped fuel.

/ PTO Generator question #27  
Small generators are a well companies best friend. No better way to destroy a well pump. One of my customers owns a large well company here in idaho, and he told me his best year of business was during our last ice storm. Lots of burnt out well pumps needing replacement.

/ PTO Generator question #28  
I had an older onan 1800 rpm also, but sold it as getting real parts, not Chinese copies, was getting very hard.
All I had to buy was a new air filter. Everything else was rebuildable without buying any parts, including the carb and points. Yeah, breaker points.

Conversely, I bought a Generac 2200W inverter generator, and the control board failed when trying to start my refer. It should have handled it, and had overload protection, allegedly. Not repairable, since Generac wanted 2x the cost of a new genny for the control board.

/ PTO Generator question #29  
I was told that when onan sold its generator unit to Cummins, they dropped parts for older lines. I was told this by onan dealership up here. Mine was starting to have issues, so i sold it to another customer that had same unit. He wanted it for parts.

/ PTO Generator question #30  
Small generators are a well companies best friend. No better way to destroy a well pump. One of my customers owns a large well company here in idaho, and he told me his best year of business was during our last ice storm. Lots of burnt out well pumps needing replacement.
Why would a small generator (and what is small?) destroy a well pump?