Generator PTO generator weather proofing

/ PTO generator weather proofing
Like many of us living the dream with property, we have to rely on generators sometimes.

Bought some meters to mount on the generator to better monitor. Some extra to make a simple box to be plugged into a receptacle to monitor any generator or house when on generator power. Cost of parts only about $20.

Hertz is right on and the volts is 0.3-0.4 high compared to my Fluke meters.

Have it now by the TV admiring my work. Wife says it’s too bright to stay there unless we are on emergency power. Numbers are sharper than shown in the photos.
IMG_2850.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

/ PTO generator weather proofing #32  
Like many of us living the dream with property, we have to rely on generators sometimes.

Bought some meters to mount on the generator to better monitor. Some extra to make a simple box to be plugged into a receptacle to monitor any generator or house when on generator power. Cost of parts only about $20.

Hertz is right on and the volts is 0.3-0.4 high compared to my Fluke meters.

Have it now by the TV admiring my work. Wife says it’s too bright to stay there unless we are on emergency power. Numbers are sharper than shown in the photos.
View attachment 823430
View attachment 823431
Looks nice. I kinda agree on the brightness. Maybe some dark window tint film would help it a little bit?

/ PTO generator weather proofing #33  
Years ago I bought a few "kilowatt" meters that plug into a house outlet. I only use it for the hertz and voltage readings.

IMG_2852.JPG

Being able monitor electrical parameters during emergency power was my goal.

PTO generators being the probably the most variable options. Good clean power when operating correctly.

/ PTO generator weather proofing #35  
Wonder how accurate the HZ reading is where most non-inverter generators are not a true sine wave. I've got a plug in power meter that registers HZ, volts, amps watts, I meant to use it last time the power was out and I had the generator set up but I forgot it.
I was looking at this one and planning on mounting it in a box similar idea to yours. Amazon.ca

Attachments

• 1695821242544.png
    1695821242544.png
    198.4 KB · Views: 54
   / PTO generator weather proofing #36  
Wonder how accurate the HZ reading is where most non-inverter generators are not a true sine wave. I've got a plug in power meter that registers HZ, volts, amps watts, I meant to use it last time the power was out and I had the generator set up but I forgot it.
I was looking at this one and planning on mounting it in a box similar idea to yours. Amazon.ca
I have been hearing this for some time now. I have no idea how it started or who has been pushing this thought.
Any AC generator (true generator) is going to produce a sine wave that is a function of rotating fields and magnets.
An inexpensive AC generator can have poor voltage and frequency regulation but it is still producing a sine wave for power.
NO inverter power supply (DC generator) produces a "true" sine wave, they simulate a sine wave by a multiple step square wave. When they produce enough steps to get to less then a 3% variance from a true sine wave then someone decided that would call that a true sine wave generator, but it is NOT.
An AC generator with a poorly manufactured winding can make "dirty" power have multiple sine waves imposed on the main sine wave causing "noise" in the power.

/ PTO generator weather proofing #37  
Any AC generator (true generator) is going to produce a sine wave that is a function of rotating fields and magnets.
An inexpensive AC generator can have poor voltage and frequency regulation but it is still producing a sine wave for power.
I've never thought of it like that before but it does make total sense, it would have to be a sine wave with rotating generation..

An AC generator with a poorly manufactured winding can make "dirty" power have multiple sine waves imposed on the main sine wave causing "noise" in the power.
Yup, I refuse to power any electronics other than the ones I can afford to lose, (microwave and coffee pot) off my generator. Mines not a cheap generator neither, a Firman 7.5KW tri fuel, and they say the THD is 11-14%, recommended for most electronics what I've read is 5% max.

/ PTO generator weather proofing #38  
And I just use every thing and anything on my pto generator, Electronics to electrical.

/ PTO generator weather proofing #39  
I power everything off of my whole house generator, have since 1996. Ive never lost anything.

im an electrician, and even i dont have meters everywhere showing me hz and volts and amps. I think that leads to information overload.

now, on a pto gen system i might be more inclined to have a meter, as the pro speed can vary. But modern whole house systems have protection from over and undervoltage to protect your equipment. they can even shut down if freq isnt correct.

Portable units not so much.

My used pto generator OEM voltmeter was bad so voltage and hertz was low. Too low. So the extra meters help me gain confidence. Have yet to do a full house test. Hope I didn’t buy a bad generator.

Have several other generators we have used over the decades for backup power. Always looking to improve our options before an emergency.