Generator pto generator

/ pto generator #51  
you guys crack me up.

ever look at the head on a pto gen.. then the head on a portable.. now think about how the big boys make power. it's all pretty much coaxing electrons off a ball of copper.

that ptogenset or portable will be cleaner power than from MOST DC inverters.

as long as you can keep rpm governed, you should be good to go. keeping the rpm governed will be a function of load, hp, rotational mass and the capabilities of the governor and engine.

an endurance test with my 12.5kw gen set running behind one of my gasser antiques into a graphing meter with history, showed my pto genset held better frew and voltage regulation than my own utility grid did, using a variety of restive, and inductive loads, including sensitive electronics.

what was surprising was not only was there better voltage regulation.. IE.. less peaks and dips.. but the freq from the utility was always bouncing around +/- 1 or so... perhaps alot of power factor correction going on on the grid?

soundguy

soundguy

/ pto generator #52  
*Me neither.

DIDO, I struggle enough finding the time to swap hoe, for boxblade for tiller for york rake, would hate to be dropping a hoe and hooking up a genset in a storm. Much easier to role the gas generator out the garage door, start her up and plug her in.

Joel

/ pto generator #53  
that just means you don't have enough tractors ;)

soundguy

/ pto generator #54  
I have a 35hp tractor and a 50kw Winpower alternator. I even run A/C as necessary. It has 540 rpm pto input and I've bought a photo tachometer to check the rpm and a frequency meter to cross check it.

That being said, I then bought a reducer gearbox from Central Georgia Generator for $299 that I connect to my 1500 rpm 3 cyl diesel lawn mower's pto (which normally runs a mower deck). The gearbox has a standard farm type splined pto output shaft which I connect the Winpower too. I set the F935's throttle to produce 60Hz. at the 115v electrical plug and I am in business. This frees up the tractor for clearing the giant sized hailstones, downed windmills, overturned minicars, lost city folks, smashed pumpkins, snowflake collectons, and those pesky trash containers that get balled up in the tinsel and barbed wire residue. I'm sure you city folks are lost at this point.

THe F935 has 2 6 gal fuel tanks, while the tractor only has a 10 gallon tank, so I'm way ahead on lighted bathroom reading and comfort time with the mower conversion deal. All I need to do is put the bolt-on bracket with the gearbox onto the left front mower lift arm, swap the pto shaft to the gearbox input and hook on the alternator (which is rigged with a hitch and trailer axle). Then its just a matter of locating the 220v extension cord. This can be touchy when its pitch black dark outside, the full moon is a week or 2 late, and the raindrops are so big they can hurt you.

Plus, now I can take the welder, Power Painter and electric pressure washer on field trips that all you stationary guys only can dream about.

/ pto generator #55  
that's one thing I like about my pto genset. i put it on a 3pt caryall platform that has enough space to set my hobart ac buzzbox on.. :)

soundguy

/ pto generator #56  
I have a 12.5KW generator mounted on a small trailer that I use with my Mahindra 2516. Works great for me ;)