PTO Generators any advice?

/ PTO Generators any advice? #41  
Northern Tool has several sizes. The smallest calls out 24hp at the pto for full power. But it will run at lower power with less HP

/ PTO Generators any advice? #42  
PineRidge,
If you're considering the Generac generator, check here....
Electric Generator Store
They have the same units as Lowe's and Home Depot and I think they are cheaper with free shipping. I bought one earlier this year, but due to health, I haven't gotten it installed yet. And they're shipped from Ohio, near Toledo /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jerry

/ PTO Generators any advice? #43  
Does anyone have any experience with the units sold in the Northern Tool catalog? I've considered purchasing one.

/ PTO Generators any advice? #44  
Jerry thanks so much for the tip! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I live in Ohio so I'll check it out and see if I can save freight by picking it up myself.

Mike

/ PTO Generators any advice? #45  
Mike,
I see they've raised the price $90 since I bought mine. They had a big backlog at one time due the great NE blackout. It comes with everything you need to hook it up except gas lines. I may have a service tech out to do the first start up since I don't own a frequency meter to check it first.

Jerry

/ PTO Generators any advice? #46  
I got a digital camera for Christmas. The pic is a little crooked but I'm still learning /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 356530-gen.jpg
    356530-gen.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 150
   / PTO Generators any advice? #47  
Winpower makes PTO-driven generators.

You can get them for about $2,000 that will generate enough power to spell your critical stuff. 1 hp = 746 watts.

Just after Isabel hit, we managed to get an electric start Arctic Cat generator that puts out 4,000 watts. I've found that it powers all my critical stuff except for starting the well pump. I have to shut everything else off to start the well pump. That system will then hold water pressure for quite a few usages.

I have the Arctic Cat plugged into my Y2K box (220v) and another 120v connection to get power to the freezer in my carriage house and plugs for our 2 computers in the basement, complete with switches near the Y2K box for turning these things off when starting the well pump.

In the future, I plan to get a BX1800 and maybe a PTO generator on a trailer with the correct length PTO shaft so that I can just back up to my pool equipment area where the Cat is now (but replace it with the PTO machine). I'll be able to get a PTO machine big enough to start my well pump and to run the other Y2K box stuff.

We've fire places for emergency heat in cold weather. Small electric heaters can be run off the generator as well. In the future, I want to look at getting a diesel-fired hot water furnace to run hot water to a hydro heater mounted in one fire flace for auxillary and emergency heat.

I've Tiny Titan (2 gallon, undercounter) hot water heaters for kitchen hot water and shower hot water. These will run off the generator as required (1350 watts). Their recovery rate is very fast. My wife and I showered from the Tiny Titan underneath a sink in the pool equipment area feeding a shower on the pool decking after Isabel. Got a Tiny Titan to feed the inside shower in the basement for cold weather.

I've used the Arctic Cat system 3 times now. Had 2 power failures even after Isabel here.

Ralph