PTO Hydraulic Pump

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump #11  
I have a K4690 on my L2650 with the PTO pump. It moves the tractor around plenty easy.. At times (hang a large root) would like more power, but then would be picking the tractor up... I usually run the tractor at 1800 rpm while using the hoe, seems to give the best control and the speed and power are fine...

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump
How much does your tractor weigh ? I guess I'm trying to figure out if my hoe is average, or on the light side .

Thanks in advance

Ed King

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump #13  
Ed, you only needed to look on your literature to see that the pump that comes with them is less than 1/2 of what your tractor has. By confirming your tractor is right at the hydraulic outlets you should have more than enough to properly run your backhoe.

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump
Art,
I was going to get an after market pump from Northern Tools. The pump I was looking at was about 11gpm, and even with tank and fittings, about $250 cheaper than the OEM pump.

Thanks for the feed back

Ed King

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump #15  
My tractor weights about 4000lbs with the loader and BH, and yes, I can drag is around if I try. It sounds to me like everything is working fine. These are comparatively small hoes with limited power. They do great work, but it takes time.

From what you've said I don't think an external pump will change anything. Your tractor puts out enough pressure which is what will give you all the power. A 3PH pump won't give you more. Your tractor also produces more flow that needed, so an 11 GPM PTO pump won't make the hoe faster either.

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump
Thats pretty much the same conclusion I came to after checking the pressure and flow rate of my hydraulics, and reading all the feedback here. Thanks for all the help, this place is great as a source for information and advice.

Ed King

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump #17  
ED, base tractor weights 2600-3000# with loader and backhoe 4500-4800#. This lets the standard 16 foot trailer carry it and some supplies or other at one time...

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump
Thank's for the feedback. I guess I was jus expecting a little more performance than a smaller backhoe will provide. The hoe digs okay, just not as much omph as I expected. I'm thinking maybe a smaller bucket (I have a 16") might improve it as well.

Ed King

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump #19  
ED, it digs great. The worst thing is when you catch a root, can lift up the front end of the tractor... It suprises me how strong a root can be... But then again a small stump can stop a bulldozer..... Trees are just real tough unless you can get some leverage...

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump
Hello,
I found the easiest way to cut roots is I get one of the teeth right up against the edge of the root, and i curl the bucket to split the root. Usually after a few splits I can break the root and pull it out of the way. I have removed 4 inch roots this way.

Thanks for the feedback

Ed King